Spotting Scope For Sheep

freu1chr

If you guys could pick one spotting scope for glassing up sheep what would you choose from both Swarovski and Leopold. I cannot narrow down which one i like best and i would like your input. I was looking at the Leopold Gold Ring 20-60x80 or the Swarovski Ats 80-20-60x.

I'd not want for more than a Swaro or Leica. Leupolds are great, but not at the same level of clarity and brightness. Get the best you can afford.

If you guys could pick one spotting scope for glassing up sheep what would you choose from both Swarovski and Leopold. I cannot narrow down which one i like best and i would like your input. I was looking at the Leopold Gold Ring 20-60x80 or the Swarovski Ats 80-20-60x.

You got a lot of gear questions Mr. Frue1chr are you that pertain alpine hunting, definitely not a bad thing. Just curious are you planning a sheep hunt or some kind of high country hunt out west? Or just getting geared up?

I've used this Leupold 12 x 40 for around 25 years now.
DSC00779.jpg

Its compact and light, and has decent glass. But I would be willing to trade it to Gomer for his Swaro if he was inclined to do so. ;)

Buy the best glass you can afford or even wait until you can afford the best. You will likely own it for the rest of your life.

For either the Swaro or the Leica be sure to get the apochromatic lens formula. It will cost a few $100.00s more but when you're counting rings from a mile or more away the increased sharpness makes all the difference. GJ

I have a Leupold spotter, and it's good, but it's not in the same league as a Swaro. I agree with GJ in that it makes it sooo much easier to judge sheep from across a drainage or two.

Edit: Mine is a 20+ year old 20x Gold Ring. Have no idea about the newer models

Im in a similar situation but Im trying to decide between a Swaro or Leica. I guess it comes down to looking through them side by side at sun down.

You got a lot of gear questions Mr. Frue1chr are you that pertain alpine hunting, definitely not a bad thing. Just curious are you planning a sheep hunt or some kind of high country hunt out west? Or just getting geared up?

I am going to Montana mule deer hunting in November this year. Next year i am going to the montana unlimited units and then keep hunting western states for the rest of my life. i am trying to slowly get the best gear i can to help improve my hunt and make me more successful.

I am going to Montana mule deer hunting in November this year. Next year i am going to the montana unlimited units and then keep hunting western states for the rest of my life. i am trying to slowly get the best gear i can to help improve my hunt and make me more successful.

I see.... good luck to you. I find myself leaving more shit behind on the unlimited hunt then I would take. Your top 2 pieces of gear you need aren't material. Be in about the best shape of your life and most important mental toughness it's a grinder.

I still take a spotter with a 20x60-80 swaro. A guy I know who happens to be pretty successful in the sheep game more times then not takes a set of 15x swaro binos and a tripod no spotter. For those long glassing days it's a tough combo to beat.

I’d love to look into a crystal ball and see a sheep tag with my name on it. That would be some good sheep glass.

Back