Caribou Gear Tarp

Spotting Scope For Sheep

freu1chr

Wondering on your guys thoughts. I plan on coming out west on a yearly occurance anywhere from hunting Montana to Colorado and Utah. I also am planning a hunt for big horns in the Montana unlimited unit. I am wondering what spotting scope you guys feel would be the best. I plan on packing in for a week at a time and most of my time will be spent glassing into dark timber or glassing from the mountainsides into canyons. My budget is $1500 or so also angled or straight would not matter.

Last edited:
Kowa 553/554

Alpha glass in a package that’s 28 ounces. For someone thinking about size, there is nothing better.

Last edited:
For your budget and I'm assuming you'll need a tripod vortex razor and there warranty is hard to be. As for angled or straight you'd better go to a store where you can compare them side by side. Most of the angled 65's rotate which I prefer. And if glassing up a angled is easier on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kowa 553/554

Alpha glass in a package that’s 28 ounces. For someone thinking about size, there is nothing better.

I haven't looked through this scope, but i have the 774 (straight) with the 25-60x wide angle eyepiece. It's nice stuff, and I've read the 553/4 can't be touched in that weight/obj diameter class. Kowa runs a bit less money than Leica and significantly less than Swaro. Do some research and see what fits your need. Find some to look through if you can. Might help you decide if you want straight or angled - it's totally a personal preference thing. I have one of each. But enjoying the straight these days.

Vortex is nice too. You could get into the Razor line at your price (used?), and I would suggest not going lower than that. I have some pieces for work. Good company too.

Figure on $300 for a reasonable tripod and fluid pan head to hold your scope.

Having the high magnification is nice for sheep glassing/hunting, IMO. If I was only using it for deer and elk, I could probably live with 15-45x type magnification range and a 65mm obj, cause I'm not picky. Also depends on how much weight you want to pack around!

Leupold has some good compact spotters in 50mm and 60mm worth looking at. The Gold ring line.

Whatever you get, I’d recommend checking out used stuff.
I picked up $3600 worth of Swarovski, new in the box for $2k at a WSF chapter banquet auction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back