Spotted a lion today

wyoboypt

Glassing for elk I spotted a lion creeping across a ridge side. He was probably almost 3 miles away and he looked to be stalking a decent sized herd of elk. What’s the chances he’s around the same vicinity tmw?
I would have pursued it today but I had to acquire permission from 2 different ranches which I now have. Waste of time?

Glassing for elk I spotted a lion creeping across a ridge side. He was probably almost 3 miles away and he looked to be stalking a decent sized herd of elk. What’s the chances he’s around the same vicinity tmw?
I would have pursued it today but I had to acquire permission from 2 different ranches which I now have. Waste of time?
Didnt you go in and kill one that way last year? am I thinking of a different member?

Didnt you go in and kill one that way last year? am I thinking of a different member?
December before last.
I just about did today too. It was pretty windy but I was able to drive within a mile of where I spotted the lion yesterday. It was sketchy with blowing snow, and getting out was worse but I made it. 5 degrees when I left the truck so I was bundled up snugger than that kid from Christmas story. I was in snowshoes for about half a mile to get over the top of the ridge, and was able to take them off on the wind blown side where the lion was. I walked maybe a quarter mile and cut its track. It was blown in in most areas but I could still tell it was the lion. This track was higher up than where I saw it yesterday, and going back the way it came. So I started following it, having to really slow down in a couple spots to see very faint remnants of the track. A couple spots were hard snow and I could see actual partial prints. They didn’t look huge but it was definitely an adult.
I followed the track into a small 6 foot tall cliff of rocks behind some juniper. As I’m pushing between two juniper a lion head and shoulders pops up 4 yards in front of me! I was kind of panicking w it being so close and tryin to get my gun off my gun bearer and she takes off. I back up real quick and have my gun up but as she flees, so does a kitten about the size of a coyote. Huge bummer. But kinda cool to see. I had about 4 seconds to get a very close running shot, but the kitten put a kink in that. I was really torn for several minutes. The kitten went one way and the mom went the other, and I was trying to think of scenarios where I killed this cat without getting in trouble, but it didn’t matter.
I followed moms track for almost a mile to see if I could get a picture, but decided I might not make the legal choice if I caught up to her so I left. Plus I was pretty tired at this point with all my cold weather gear on. Tried taking pics of the kitten track but you can’t really see it. It’s probably 2 to 2.5 inch wide pad. Bummer!

Ive had the same 2 lions creeping around my property for a week now. He could still be there tomorrow.

Back