Caribou Gear Tarp

Spot locator issues

brnsvllyjohn

I have owned a Spot Gen 3 for about 3 years and it seems like it doesn't function as well as it used to. The first year or 2 that I used it my wife would get tracks as well as the messages that we programed when I activated them. This year she does not get info for a day or 2 at a time on some trips. I am usually able to get a cell phone text out once a day or so but the Spot device not working like it used to is becoming an issue. The green envelope light will light up a few minutes after I turn it on and hit my "safe in camp" message but any more she doesn't always receive it. I will leave it turned on in a clear area facing up until I go to bed but she doesn't get the message. The tracks are just becoming a joke. I will leave it on for hours at a time and on some days she never gets any tracks. I understand that it needs a clear view of the sky and it should be flat facing up. My son's older unit is now doing the same thing. His wife is not getting the messages like she should. Yes the batteries are new and I carry spare ones.

Is the Garmin InReach better? I really don't care about the texting ability I just want to notify people I am either safe or not safe.

I used that same Spot for years. I switched to an InReach Mini last year and it is definitely quicker on sending location. The two way text is way nicer than you might think as well. Especially if you get into a true emergency.

We have Gen 2 SPOTs for work...they regularly fail to send their check-ins so we warn our loved ones that if a check-in is missed to wait as no news is good news. We work in pairs so an emergency will likely result in 2 pings.

Toss the SPOT and go for an InReach...your wife will appreciate it. You can also just send unlimited pre-programmed check-ins from the InReach...mine are "Camp is here"..."All is well in Paradise"..."The Snozberries taste like Snozberries"

I ran into the same problem in the last year with mine. I haven't had it register a location in a year. I called SPOT about it and they told me to use Lithium batteries (it does say to do this on the back of my spot) instead of alkalines, which I always used. They said it could eventually ruin the spot. So I tried one more time with fresh alkaline batteries since I had them and didn't want to run to the store for lithium. It worked with new batteries but in testing it I had left it on the bed rail of my truck and drove off with it sitting there. I made a feable attempt to find it but honestly I don't care anymore. SPOT customer service was always terrible for me and their billing practices are pretty shady. I said good riddance to it falling off my truck and will eventually be getting an InReach that other family members have had great luck with.

I have the Spot X, I used it this year and it worked alright. I did notice it took approx. 5-10 minutes to send a message through. Maybe that's not bad, it was my first time using such a device. My wife appreciated the check-in's which were sent to her email account.

My gen 3 has had a few issues but did seem to resolve it with some sort of resetting sequence with the batteries out for 20 min or something like that. It happened when changing continents. I may be ditching my spot gen 3 so if you want a new one and still have contract time left let me know.

I’ve used the SPOT for years guiding in AK. Ditched it as unreliable for an in reach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back