Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sports illustrated Bash Hunters

ELKCHSR

Sports Illustrated Writer Uses Column To Bash Hunters

In his Dec. 23, 2002, column titled, “Fair Game,” Sports Illustrated columnist Rick Reilly took aim at hunting and hunters. It’s not the first time he’s done so. To read the column, click here. Letters to the Editor can be e-mailed to [email protected].

Tomorrow I will try and search the archives and see if I can find the story, the source I got it from is kinda old, some of these stories have been sitting in my e-mail for a long time..Sorry!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ithaca 37:
So he's making fun of all the high tech gear and the canned hunts!! We do that here all the time. It does sound kinda unsporting when he talks about some of that stuff. I don't like it either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAHAHA...sounds unsporting....there is nothing to compare to the feeling I get when I unload my ATV from the trailer, load my rifle, open the gate to the enclosed 400 acre pen, drive up to my target of choice and squeeze the trigger.....yep nothing like it
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

What a frikken dork. Its much more honorable to sit around on your fat ass all day eating pizza, drinking beer and watching football right. Then if your team looses your alcoholic ass could always go take it out on your wife. I cant even watch 5 minutes of any kind of sports without getting bored, what a boring life these sports nuts must lead... I mean can you really get that exited and hyped up over watching some overpaid losers run around and act like a bunch of monkeys? Reilly is probably a fag.

Ithaca, the difference is that he didn't say a single good thing about hunting. Not "hunting's great except for this stuff," or "some hunters use technology and take away from their experience," or whatever. He purposefully wrote an article bashing hunting to be published in a non-hunting magazine for the purpose of making ALL hunters look bad. When we talk about it here we assume a minimum knowledge of what the mechanics and ethics of hunting are about. Such an assumption can't be made of Sports Illustrated readers, and he knew it when he wrote it. Typical anti-hunting tactics. Bah!

Flipper, you forgot the part about swilling some beers to make your ass fatter while you're driving your ATV.
footinmouth.gif

This wasnt the first article about hunting he wrote in a unfavorable light. I sent a email to the editors complaning about it. Dang if only I hadnt allowed my subscription to run out in 1988 I could have canceled it.
frown.gif

I can accept that kind of writing from one of us. But I wouldnt mind having the stuff he wrote about though.
biggrin.gif

Will wonder's never cease ?
Im not sure what's worse,the moron that wrote it or those that would support such crap.
I would think any sportsman would be upset that we are being portrayed (like that is the normal way in which all hunter hunt.)
It's up to all of us to help get the message out to the non-hunting public ,that it's not the norm !!!!and that as hunter's we are working to stop anything that is unethical.
When we have people in are own rank's that would stand up for such nagative writing ,WOW .
Dgibson ,good post.

Maybe I read it wrong, but it looks to me as though he's making fun of all the "hunters" who buy all this gear and then try to use it all on the same hunt. It's little more than sarcasm aimed at all of the gadget manufacturers. I don't read anything directed at hunting or hunters.. more like directed at gadget collectors and canned shoots....

cool.gif

Im new here, whats a hunter? I read Sports Afield so are they those the big fatphucks driving goldrimmed suburbans pulling 6 place trailers with 600cc quads with gps units, rangefinders, oneida double cam compound bows, satellite dish on the RV, fullbody camo bugling off the ATV puttering around in a meadow inside a 5-acre pen stalking a deer next to a feed bin driving home with a 2 point dogbuck strapped on the $6k Quad handlebars for display on the interstate?

I think Aldo Leopold hit on the same thing in 1947 in A Sand County Almanac during the chapter The Gadgetteer.

Yeah, so all you hunters that still use a spear or stick bow would you (Please stand up ) Other wise Ill bet most of you have at least a few of those items he was knocking.LOL

I've got a rifle a scope and some old faded BDUs. Maybe if I bought all that other stuff I could get drawn. Yeah thats it,I don't have enough gadgets to be taken seriously by the G&F. I don't need preferance points just gadgets.
I don't know how to take that article, is he anti-hunter or anti-rich-gadget-hunter?Anyway alot of that craps worthless or illeagle here.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-14-2003 17:05: Message edited by: 2fastnaz ]</font>

Yes it has
biggrin.gif
and im still waiting for picture's
wink.gif
drool.gif

We all know you cant post without proof to back in up LOL
wink.gif

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members