Spicing up camp food

Danderson

In regards to freeze dried meals (peak, backpackers pantry, mountain house, etc..), what do you like to add to go along with your meals? Things like bringing tortillas with you to make wraps out of them, or instant mash potatoes as a side. Definitely nice to have a choice of things so you don’t get bored, but also hard to bring a lot when camping in the backcountry.

We always make up a little ziplock seasoning packet. Mixture of usually garlic salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder. Something like that. Spices up the meal good. Also take tortillas and a little bottle of hot sauce.

As far as lightweight spicing up goes, I’ve been liking this on just about everything:

1611383849298.jpeg

Also, here are a couple of good, old threads that cover this:

Attachments

• 1611383296503.jpeg
    1611383296503.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 1
  • 1611383580486.jpeg
    1611383580486.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 1
I usually pack in fresh cheese tortellini.
First night, tortellini with sausage and broccolli and any other veggies.
Second night, tortellini with dehydrated morels, dehydrated tomatoes, parmesian cheese
Third night, tortellini with smoked salmon and cream cheese

Not sure if you are asking about "spicing up" food or adding sides?

If you are talking about spicing up foods, I have found that the taco sauce packets from Taco Bell are perfect to take on a backpack trip. They don't need to be refridgerated and don't take up much space. Same with the red pepper packets you get with your pizza. Just put the used packets in the empty mountain house bag and you are done. I'm always keeping my eye out for condiments that are free and don't need to be refridgerated.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back