Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SPEC.-OPS. brand backpack?

A207X2

I’ve had a SPEC.-OPS. T.H.E. backpack for about six years now. I use it for hiking, backpacking, camping, etc. It’s a very good pack with about 1,400 cubic inches of combined capacity.

I’m in the planning stages of a CO elk hunt next year. A week in the field. I’d prefer to not have to buy another pack that I probably wouldn’t use very often, but I don’t know if this one is large enough.

Is this pack undersized for this trip?

We will set up a base camp, then spike camp from there. We will drive/ATV to the base, then backpack in from there for day hunts and 1-2 night spike camps. I’m hoping I can use this pack for backpacking into our spike camp locations. I could probably buy a larger used pack, but that’s a PITA to sell it again when I’m done with it. Was hoping my current bag would be adequate for 1-2 night trips.

The lack of a real waist belt is going to put a world of hurt on your shoulders and hips.

We will set up a base camp, then spike camp from there. We will drive/ATV to the base, then backpack in from there for day hunts and 1-2 night spike camps. I’m hoping I can use this pack for backpacking into our spike camp locations. I could probably buy a larger used pack, but that’s a PITA to sell it again when I’m done with it. Was hoping my current bag would be adequate for 1-2 night trips.
If you are a pretty extreme, ultra light backpacker may you could swing it but I think it is just too small. I don't see you carrying food, water, clothing, a sleep system, shelter, hunting necessities etc in that size of a pack.....let alone being comfortable. I would suggest looking for a good used (or new on sale) mid sized backpacking pack of at least 3000 ci.

If you are a pretty extreme, ultra light backpacker may you could swing it but I think it is just too small. I don't see you carrying food, water, clothing, a sleep system, shelter, hunting necessities etc in that size of a pack.....let alone being comfortable. I would suggest looking for a good used (or new on sale) mid sized backpacking pack of at least 3000 ci.

Yeah, I’m amazed at the changes in technologies over the last 40 years. I honestly feel like Rip vanWinkle waking up from a 40-year nap. It’s almost embarrassing. These modular systems are simply amazing! @sacountry pointing me towards the Horn Hunter that he’s using was an epiphany of sorts for me. Then when you look at simple thing like boots, clothing, hunting accessories - well, it’s like nothing that I grew up with. My packs were military surplus, boots were leather with some waterproofing rubbed on them, and clothing was wool.

It’s now designed to get the hunter on the game easier - which is fantastic.

In the end, it’s still the guy on the trigger though, and even then advances in technologies have upped the game. Synthetic stocks make for a lighter, more durable gun. Really good quality glass is now available at prices that the average person couldn’t afford.

Geez, I’m ranting here. As much as I love my current pack, it’s not the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
I guess I would say you at least need a frame pack with belt to haul out quarters when you get your elk @A207X2 .
I THINK from my research there are some good smaller bags but you can also buy some nice big bags that are lightweight but can be compressed very small for a day mode.

If you plan on hiking with a rifle for a week it will be ok, if you plan on shooting anything more than 100 yards off the road I would look into something that can handle the weight of an elk quarter. Good recommendations on where to find a decent pack.

22L is great for a daypack to carry hydration bladder, 1st aid kit, rain gear, ETC
even the UltraLightweight guys would not do 2 nights with a 22L pack. it's just not big enough.
you're also in OCT hunt, so it will be cooler temps, and if you're bringing a 0F sleeping bag, it takes up alot of volume.
i would suggest if you want to keep it on the smaller side but still want to be able to do 1-2 night hike in camps, minimum 50L pack with internal frame.

50-60L is my go to size when i do 2-3 night hikes to camp/fish high alpine, but i do so in warmer month where i bring 20F bag *(way less volume than 0F).
remember, you'll be bringing MSR or Jetboil to boil water, some food, puffy coat, maybe rain jacket? tent or bivy/tart. all that stuff adds up. 22L is just not doable.

Back