Caribou Gear Tarp

Spearfishing intro

OK, so maybe it's because it's cold out, still snowy, and i just got back from Kauai, but I want to get into spearfishing this year. Here in WA you can head to the salt and freeze your _ss off or go for carp (common, not grass). They're the only freshwater fish open for it.

So here's my question, where do I start? I have a cheap mask, snorkel, and fins. That's it. I figure I'll start with a 3-prong pole spear, but I have no idea on the length. Nor on any of the tips or tricks for holding my breath or clearing my ears (I always just gut the pain), are their beginner resources that are better than others? I mean there YT... then you can spend a lot of time floundering there and walk away without gleaning much value.

Like said above, 3-prong is fine for small fish usually, 12" or so, but anything of size can easily get off if you don't hit them well. I used a 7' pole spear with a breakaway tip and an extra thick band, it was killer on bigger fish like halibut, seabass, calico bass, yellowtail, etc. You'll also appreciate a thicker wetsuit if you're anywhere but the tropics. I used my 4/3 surfing suit, but it wasn't quite enough on the colder winter days. Spearfishing is awesome...

The Mako Minimus has worked well for me - good seal and easy to equalize. I scrubbed the lenses with toothpaste when I first got it and haven't had any major fogging issues.

What kind of viz will you be working with in WA waters? Using a pole spear in poor viz might get really frustrating unless you have a way to load the band before you dive but rest your grip throughout the dive. I've never used a pole spear, though, so it may work great in clear and crappy viz...

FWIW, I've ordered from this place twice without issues: https://www.diveinn.com/scuba-diving/spearguns-spearguns/22/s

Good luck with the new addiction!

What kind of viz will you be working with in WA waters?
Freshwater we're limited to carp, so outside of Banks Lake, which has ~40' vis, we're probably taking 10-15'. No idea on the salt, I think I'm a ways from trying that.

Freshwater we're limited to carp, so outside of Banks Lake, which has ~40' vis, we're probably taking 10-15'. No idea on the salt, I think I'm a ways from trying that.
Copy that - I was envisioning like 3-5' viz and thinking that'd be tough with a pole spear.

Copy that - I was envisioning like 3-5' viz and thinking that'd be tough with a pole spear.
we certainly have those water bodies too, but I didn't think spearfishing would be practical there, no matter what your gear was.

Back