Speakin' of chickens

Erik in AK

Here is a pic of me and some of my troops--being the old head at work and the one with the most time in Alaska I put together a fishing trip in Valdez to get some of them to see something besides the base exchange. GI's are notorious for "20 mile syndrome" and I try to encourage them to get off the base and experience some of the beauty Alaska has to offer.

Except for me none of the kids in this pic had ever been out on the ocean before and aside from a little chumming, everyone had a good time AND they all caught bigger fish than me. I had to pull rank for the photo though--got to keep up appearances and all. Thats me on the right and my dinky little "pullet" chickens over on the left side of the meat pole.

Attachments

• Valdez Halibut.JPG
    Valdez Halibut.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 82
Nice fish, I think you caught bigger ones than I did even. I didn't have much halibut luck, I seemed to catch all the oddball fish in the ocean.

Zamboni thats a Kelp Greenling--hope you kept him----they look weird alive and weirder filleted--their flesh is greenish but turns white when cooked and they are tasty--kind of like grouper.

That littlest halibut on the end was my "big" one that trip but, all the black sea bass on the deck are mine and they turned out to be nice on the plate

Nope, pitched it back. We caught some other weird fish too, I've been digging for the pictures but can't find them down here, must be upstairs somewhere. Don't want to wake the whole family up this late. If I can find them tomorrow I will try to get them on here..

Looks like a blast....Eric's dead on about the greenling- TASTEY they are, kinda wierd when you fillet them and see that light minty-green flesh but, as said before, it cooks up like ling/snapper/cabezon in color and consistency.

I gotta get up there and do some fishing before its time to wear Depends!

I like that.........I had to pull rank hahahhaa! hey Zam my son calls that the dinosaur fish ewwwwwww! If he only knew hahha! he was trying to find it in his dinosaur book and showed my some bobes,said that was it,but you had a baby one,ah! kids the y are precious.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back