Southern California A Zone

Kyle1019

I'm a first time hunter who picked up an A zone deer tag and am looking to get my feet wet! Any recommendations on the better parts of the Southern A Zone particularly around the San Luis Obispo area and below? I have no connections to private land owners in the area so public land seems to be the way to go for me. Also am looking for a hunting buddy / mentor who could show me the ropes a bit for my first time, I don't have a family tradition in hunting so I'm looking for someone to build a comradery with. I'm very excited to get into it and hopefully snowball this into a lifelong practice! Any help or first timer suggestions is appreciated and best of luck to everyone.

Wish I had a specific area down there, but try to stay out of CA! Archery hunting is the key to having fun hunting in CA. Try not to get discouraged and send me a IM if you need anything!

There are good options in the southern area of the Los Padres, and you are relatively close to the northern area. If you head north look towards the Soberanes Fire footprint. Otherwise find areas of mixed oak with grassy openings and loose chaparral.

Wish I had a specific area down there, but try to stay out of CA! Archery hunting is the key to having fun hunting in CA. Try not to get discouraged and send me a IM if you need anything!
In the future if all goes well and the momentum stays strong I'll absolutely hunt in other states :) for now I live in LA so it's the closest option for me.

There are good options in the southern area of the Los Padres, and you are relatively close to the northern area. If you head north look towards the Soberanes Fire footprint. Otherwise find areas of mixed oak with grassy openings and loose chaparral.
I'm in the Southern part of the state so I seem to be zeroing in on Los Padres just like you said. I seem to be zeroing in around the area east of Santa Maria or just a little southeast of San Luis Obispo. Although I haven't researched yet how the land is divided between public and private in the area so I'm not sure where is a good area to focus on.

Last edited:
My old stomping grounds, SLO Co. Thin line of LP NF in SLO has been hammered and I would look to South Monterey Co. between Big Sur & San Luis Obispo Co.

Last year was my first year hunting in SLO and the biggest lesson I learned was from putting boots on the ground and checking out different areas. Using google earth, OnX etc. to narrow down spots and getting some time to walk the areas you start piecing together info to get a broader picture of the area. Scout for those areas @jryoung mentioned online then go explore them. It's been tough for me thus far but have learned a lot by spending time in the various areas. Good Luck!

I'm in the Southern part of the state so I seem to be zeroing in on Los Padres just like you said. I seem to be zeroing in around the area east of Santa Maria or just a little southeast of San Luis Obispo. Although I haven't researched yet how the land is divided between public and private in the area so I'm not sure where is a good area to focus on.

Look for water sources and backpack in, much of the LP is very, very dry...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back