Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

South Central Wyoming

FranklinME

Just joined the forum and hope to contribute. Have a couple questions as I am heading to this area for my first Western hunt next year. Planning on 2.5 weeks early September with a General tag and a LE Deer tag, somewhere in units 78-81. Anyway here goes:

1) When you look at the Snowy and Sierra Madre ranges on a google earth, there are roads everywhere. Are any of these closed during the season? Does the state publish a map of which are closed?

2) Since I will be out there 2.5 weeks is there a meat processer who can keep it frozen in that area?

Any help would be appreciated.

Look up the Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) for that forest and it will show you what you are looking for.

If you can't find a meat locker, dry ice is always an option.

Take a fishing rod with you, that's one of my most favorite parts of the world.

Merrill Meat Co. on HWY 230 two miles north of Encampment, 307-327-5216. They did that for me a few years back. Nice, clean facility.

Lots of roads in the area thats for sure. Snake river processing in baggs does a great job, the owners are great people.

Nearly all of the roads that allowed vehicle traffic were open in the unit we hunted in the area you are talking about. I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of pressure in our unit at least.

Hunt the country just north of the CO border, that borders Three Forks Ranch. There's always elk in September that will come onto Three Forks in the night to feed the irrigated pastures, then retreat back into the timber and aspens in WY during the day. Some good bulls too.

I hunt this area pretty hard when I don't draw, don't be too wairy of the roads in regards to hunting. Most stay open throughout archery season but sometimes weather plays a roll in limiting access. Fires made an impact last year and it's every single year you've got to take time to remove a fallen tree from the road. Reminds me, bring a good chainsaw or logging chain, several times I've went into an area on a clear road only to have a blow over on my way back. Lots and lots of dead fall to worry about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back