Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

South central wyoming timing?

Firedude

If you wouldn't mind sharing a little information I've had an opportunity come up. I am holding and antelope Tag for South Central wyoming. Carbon county. I HAD vacation time picked out for the first week and a half of October. It was all that was available.

Long story short Vacation opened for the opening days... So my question is purely based on your experience. Is it better to be there opening day or wait a couple weeks? I'm hoping for a better buck. No need to be record book but in that area I'd be happy with approaching 80 inches. If I take the early I have to cancel October vacation. Thats why I'm asking. P.M. would be appreciated if you don't want to display it.

Basically it went from go this time to now you have options. Need advice.

Last edited:
I've hunted southern Carbon County in mid September. I always hunted does and found success but it wasn't always easy. A lot of private ground to deal with. That said, it seemed like the does would be on private and the bucks would be a bit higher up on public. The beta I got was that it gets a bit better later in the season for whatever reason. I don't think I ever saw another hunter, however.

It's six of one, half dozen of the other. Weather can always screw you up. Other than that, should be a great time either time frame. If it were a high pressure area in the east I'd have different advice.

I’ve had 3 Wyoming Antelope tags and always hunted the second week of season or later. Every time there’s been hardly anyone in The field which I prefer and never had a problem finding good Bucks. If you could get there before the season find a target Buck and get him quick that would work, if not I’d go late.

I like to bow hunt because you have first pick of the bucks. I would guarantee that a good portion of the better bucks are killed the first few days. Of course some will make it through and you have an opportunity to get on one later with less people competing. Another consideration is those roads are notorious for being nearly impassible when wet, the later in the season the more likely it is to be inaccessible in parts.

Personally I would be sitting on a buck before the rifle opener and take him out opening morning.

@Firedude - did you end up going for opening? DM me what unit you drew and I'll help you out if you haven't gone yet and we have the same area.

I just got back from the Rawlins area. Killed a great buck at 9am opening morning (9/20). There were still plenty of good bucks running around. Actually killed a buck I hadn't seen on my scouting trip or driving around the day before season. Was going after one of my target bucks that ghosted me and this other buck popped up. Only saw one other buck get killed and it was a dink. Got checked by a biologist at the same time as that guy. Biologist said the smaller buck was more conducive to what he had seen driving around the unit. I do not agree with him and I have plenty of pictures of decent to very nice goats to back that up.

@Firedude - did you end up going for opening? DM me what unit you drew and I'll help you out if you haven't gone yet and we have the same area.

I just got back from the Rawlins area. Killed a great buck at 9am opening morning (9/20). There were still plenty of good bucks running around. Actually killed a buck I hadn't seen on my scouting trip or driving around the day before season. Was going after one of my target bucks that ghosted me and this other buck popped up. Only saw one other buck get killed and it was a dink. Got checked by a biologist at the same time as that guy. Biologist said the smaller buck was more conducive to what he had seen driving around the unit. I do not agree with him and I have plenty of pictures of decent to very nice goats to back that up.
I did end up going. I scouted one day before the opener. Hunted all day during the first day. I found one I wanted to shoot on day 2. I went with the idea of wanting a "good" one. Good length, good mass, good prongs, mid 70's. He didn't I have to be great record setting. Just a good one. I thought he was a little bigger but ended up being 76 6/8. I used his right eye to judge and on closer inspection his right eye had been injured at some point. How it healed and scarred it was only 1 3/4 wide. Still VERY VERY HAPPY THOUGH.

I'll try to do a write up tomorrow.

20220921_090043.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back