Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Sons new rifle is a shooter!

338 win mag

I have an 8 year old boy who may love the outdoors more than his dad. He been 2 for 2 on public land wild turkeys here in NC, killing his first when he was only 6! He also killed his first 2 whitetails last year, one with my AR15, then another with his .243. This year I had an itch to buy another rifle that he, his sister, and also my wife could hunt with that had a little better ballistics and bullet selection than the the .243. I settled on a Browning xbolt micro in 6.5 CM......or 6.5 MB as some call it😂. Ive been slow to warm up to the CM, mainly because so many people have hyped it up to be the 'be all end' all caliber. Anyway not trying to start a caliber debate.
The rifle comes with a muzzle brake so even though he is a little small for his age I was confident he could shoot it comfortably. I'm a Nosler guy, but I picked up a box of Hornady Precision Hunter to sight it in as its readily available. So I mounted an older VX-3 I had laying around, performed a quick bore sight, and went to the range last Saturday. First shot at 100 was 2 inches low and 2 inches right. I decided to make one more shot before I move the reticle, and it landed nearly in the same hole! Wow, I thought, not bad. We were in a hurry and I made a quick adjustment and fired 3 more shots. Now I was really happy, all 3 landed in a tiny clover leaf, easily touching! I didn't take the time to measure but it's easily. 3MOA or less. Huge shout out to Browning and Hornady. Next my son got behind the gun and easily put 3 rounds under .75 MOA and he handled the recoil easily. So we are ready to hunt! Hope to follow this up with some deer pics in the near future, stay tuned!Screenshot_20191118-092555_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191118-092629_Video Player.jpg

You are a great dad, and your son is blessed. I have the 6.5CM in the X bolt Eclipse Hunter, and love it. Great gun, and you two will love the accuracy. I let my nieces (age 13 and 15) use mine when I am in MT, and they have no issues at all.

You are a great dad, and your son is blessed. I have the 6.5CM in the X bolt Eclipse Hunter, and love it. Great gun, and you two will love the accuracy. I let my nieces (age 13 and 15) use mine when I am in MT, and they have no issues at all.
That means alot buddy. My dad is no longer with us, but I absolutely cherish the time we spent together outdoors and I am truly blessed that I get to pass it on now to my son!

This is probably already on your radar, but please make sure he's wearing ear pro when he fires that with the brake. Even one or two shots in the field on game is enough to damage his hearing. I've got that beautiful high pitched ringing tone singing in my ears 24/7, and wish I could go back and undo my stupid mistakes with muzzle brakes and car speakers. :rolleyes:

And great job getting him a gun that he'll enjoy, and that's obviously a tack driver!

This is probably already on your radar, but please make sure he's wearing ear pro when he fires that with the brake. Even one or two shots in the field on game is enough to damage his hearing. I've got that beautiful high pitched ringing tone singing in my ears 24/7, and wish I could go back and undo my stupid mistakes with muzzle brakes and car speakers. :rolleyes:

And great job getting him a gun that he'll enjoy, and that's obviously a tack driver!
Absolutely! I take his ear pro in my pack and have it ready for him. It's a must with the brake

Awesome! We need many more Fathers and Sons,Daughters as well, like you! You make our sport proud!

I’ve got some grandsons very similar to yours, hunting and taking deer since 5 or 6. However, their Dad’s not a serious shooter....so, they can’t “ hold a candle” to your son’s shooting ability! Congrats Again, memtb

Last edited:
Awesome! We need many more Fathers and Sons,Daughters as well, like you! You make our sport proud!

I’ve got some grandsons very similar to yours, hunting and taking deer since 5 or 6. However, their Dad’s not a serious shooter....so, they can’t “ hold a candle” to your son’s shooting ability! Congrats Again, memtb
Thanks buddy!

That means alot buddy. My dad is no longer with us, but I absolutely cherish the time we spent together outdoors and I am truly blessed that I get to pass it on now to my son!

I totally agree. My dad is 71 now, and I can tell a difference (of course) from when he was teaching my brother and I when we were your son's age. My love of Browning firearms came from my dad purchasing my first shotgun (Browning BPS pump 12 gauge).

My dad and I both killed whitetail bucks this past Friday, and in previous years he would have never asked for my help. This year, he just could not pull it or drag it like he used to. So, no problem here. The way I look at it, he blessed me all those years teaching me how to hunt, the love of the outdoors, and purchasing guns and ammo before I ever had a job. Now I get to pay it all back. It comes full circle.

I totally agree. My dad is 71 now, and I can tell a difference (of course) from when he was teaching my brother and I when we were your son's age. My love of Browning firearms came from my dad purchasing my first shotgun (Browning BPS pump 12 gauge).

My dad and I both killed whitetail bucks this past Friday, and in previous years he would have never asked for my help. This year, he just could not pull it or drag it like he used to. So, no problem here. The way I look at it, he blessed me all those years teaching me how to hunt, the love of the outdoors, and purchasing guns and ammo before I ever had a job. Now I get to pay it all back. It comes full circle.
I have my dads A-bolt that he had taken a bull moose and caribou back in 1990. Every browning I've owned has been a quality firearm. My fondest memories are spent with family outdoors

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back