Caribou Gear Tarp

Sometimes things just go right

Akcabin

We had just lost our home to a forest fire and I was busy 18 hours a day rebuilding our new home. It's a beautiful fall day with clear skies n lots of sunshine. My buddy stops by around 4 pm wanting to go moose hunting. My beautiful wife convinces me to take a couple hours off.
I grabbed my rifle n we head out to my honey hole an hour later. We park n head off down the trail leading in through the alders. It's been used heavily by moose so the going is easy. As we're still hunting our way in we spot a nice bull laying in his bed watching us. He knows he's busted if he stands but knows he's big enough to not really care. It's my buddies turn to shoot first. The big bull never got up.
We go get the wheelers n my meat trailer. Nice when you can drive right up to them. The shot was through the neck which had also hit the juggler n bled out so we didn't have to do that. Or we probably would have noticed that the only knife we had was the 3" buck pocket knife I carry. I must say it did a fine job as we were tapping a cold beer n feeling blessed that we had a moose hanging by 8 pm that fine fall evening to feed our families.
I've had lots of hunts. But this one has a lot of meaning with it for me

Last edited:
Nice reminiscing Akcabin.

I'd wager you haven't left for a hunt without checking on the knife situation ever again.

Yeah you would think that. But yeah it only happened one other other time so far. Even worse was a couple years ago when I forgot my rifle on the kitchen table n realizing it after the bush plane we charter dropped me n beautiful wife off on a remote lake during moose season.
We had a moose hanging so it wasn't tooooo bad.
Heck I got dropped off once n realized I only had half a bottle of water with me. I had a water purifier pump at the cabin though. And it rained later that day.
It's all good

Thanks all. Our home is done. And we're thinking about building our retirement home next door now. Talk about life going great. We gave our son n his new wife an acre of land behind us and helped them build their home . Now our granddaughter lives next door. And our daughter and her son live with us. She works remote so gone weeks at a time. And raising our 4 year old grandson is now our part time full time job. Our family is all around us.
Now that's things going great. And we even have a chessy that hunts moose antlers.
Hey all , thanks again for the support. But it doesn't take long to see that I'm pretty blessed.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back