Somebody sent me a No. 1 **IT'S FINISHED!!**

My friend with a CNC made up a batch of stainless grip caps for me. I made the custom fitted screws. I'll either make up another set with a shallow slot so they disappear with blending and become permanent or pull these out and soften the top edge so you can see the screw head. It looks funny with just the slots showing. 20230303_203352.jpg20230303_214716.jpg

My friend with a CNC made up a batch of stainless grip caps for me. I made the custom fitted screws. I'll either make up another set with a shallow slot so they disappear with blending and become permanent or pull these out and soften the top edge so you can see the screw head. It looks funny with just the slots showing. View attachment 266982View attachment 266983
Ok, after that old model 12 I sent I'm sending you some #1s

Looks great with the chamfer. Are you engraving the center of the cap?

Looks great with the chamfer. Are you engraving the center of the cap?
Not at this time, but there is that option.

Thank you for timing the heads, It drives me bat shit when screw heads aren't aligned. And yes I'm judging folks when I look at their electrical cover plates.
I actually need to rotate these 90⁰.
Cover plate screws actually don't bother me one bit! Don't know why but everything else does. Even the knobs for the damn radio in my truck.

The two I pay most attention to are the 257 Roberts and the 275 Rigby. Looks like they were stocked from the same tree, same barrel contour, scopes and rings, same case was used to form brass. I never take both on the same hunt. The Hornet has much different wood. The 300 HH is just plain heavier and longer. No chance of confusion there. But it's also important with the big boys, 416; 45/70 and 450.
I just think it would look high and tight to see those etched caps, in order on the rack.

The two I pay most attention to are the 257 Roberts and the 275 Rigby. Looks like they were stocked from the same tree, same barrel contour, scopes and rings, same case was used to form brass. I never take both on the same hunt. The Hornet has much different wood. The 300 HH is just plain heavier and longer. No chance of confusion there. But it's also important with the big boys, 416; 45/70 and 450.
I just think it would look high and tight to see those etched caps, in order on the rack.
One of the rifles I dearly regret not buying was a Ruger 77 African in 275 Rigby. That just sounds way more bad a** than 7x57 😂

I had a big machining job come in for a local company that they needed ASAP. That's finished now so we can get back to our regularly scheduled programming!

I fixed the orientation of the grip cap screws.
20230321_202632.jpg

Also got the forend bedded to the action and barrel. The factory forend hanger won't be getting used so there won't be any weird harmonics from the spring. I'll install a new escutcheon once it's closer to the final shape.
20230323_181735.jpg

Here you can see the forend taking shape. I'm thinning it up as much as possible for a sleek look. Unlike a lot of single shots the action springs are housed inside the forend so there is a limit to how much material can be removed.
20230325_112305.jpg

I opted to have the profile follow the barrel channel. It looks great and is very comfortable.
Obviously only 1 side is done, it shows how much wood was removed to get it there.
20230325_112147.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back