Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Some Moose Pics

Ovis

I took these pics for the Fairbanks Newsminer. They are of my buddy's neighbor's kid. The young'n killed this moose in a heavily hunted area close to town (for you N.P. locals it was right on Moose Creek) after they saw it cross a road. This was the first year Alaska opened the "kids only" hunt. This kid got him a trophy of a lifetime. If I recall correctly, it was about 64".

mooseyouth3copy.jpg

mooseyouth4copy.jpg

It only looks to be 60-61" But Who Am I to guess scores ;)

DID they keep the Velevet ?

Kudos to the KID !!!

I don't recall what it was killed with. I know his brother actually had first shot, but couldn't hit the thing to save his life, so little brother gotta shot and dropped him.

Moosie

The question about the velvet goes like this. You know my friend/taxidermist buddy I keep putting at this higher level. Well, he doesn't do velvet...he always strips it. So if T-Bone shoots one with it one, it comes off. If I shoot a bou with it on, it comes off. If you dig the velvet, he points you elsewhere. According to him, after a number of years the velvet becomes brittle and starts to flake off. He says it then looks like chit...so he prefers to strip it.

Ovis.. answer the it's only 60" question I had :D :D (For those that think I'm a Prick for asking, Ovis Actually found the Measurements and told me last night when we went to the Movies
)

Kiwi, Moose grow Antlers in Many configurations. Some are WIDE palmed, some have long tines and Some look like Cups on their head. I'm not sure what this bull would have looked like But I'm guesing it wouldn't have Palmed out those tines much more then how they are.

Also, To count a Point on a Bull, The point needs to be at least 1" long and not wider then it is Long. Just a bit of tidbit for ya.

Ovis.. answer the it's only 60" question I had
Well, to be honest, I just spoke with Rich and he said it was either 60" or 61" (the newspaper article says 60") so you win twice....Quick, somebody, give that man a round of applause...L.O.S.E.R.

Kiwi

To add to what Moosie said, as moose get older, their antlers start to actually shrink and their points start to round off. This could be an example, although those browtines are awfully narly.

What I like about that Bull is that there is At least 4 tines so It can Be shot in a 4-50" Unit. There is NO guessing then :D Not that you need to guess the Size when they are that big, Ya jsut @#)(# the Hammer and Let 'er rip !!!

Ovis, is your taxidermist a former SERE Chief?

You haven't mentioned his name and if you're keeping it on the DL for a reason I don't want to be the one who breaks the trust.

Yes Erik, you are correct...you get a prize too. Talk to Moosie to find out what it is :D

LAst prize Ovis tried to give me I needed to get shots for a week :D

I think it's funny how this guy is so good and Everyone is affraid to say his name...

It isn't Voldimore is it :D :D Buuuahahahah !!!!

Who is afraid to say his name...I've posted it several times.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ovis.. answer the it's only 60" question I had
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, to be honest, I just spoke with Rich and he said it was either 60" or 61" (the newspaper article says 60") so you win twice....Quick, somebody, give that man a round of applause...L.O.S.E.R.

Kiwi

To add to what Moosie said, as moose get older, their antlers start to actually shrink and their points start to round off. This could be an example, although those browtines are awfully narly.
And here is the pic I did for him again (originally posted under T-Bone's "Shipping Cost" post) with his name and business name...so what is the deal?

RichRamcopy.jpg

BTW Moosie...you're really getting good with those jokies...I gotta good laugh out of that one. Too bad you're not near as humorous in person ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back