Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Snow

Gun Dog

Any snow in the Routt Forest area Zerkle or Black Mountain? Anyone hunt those areas? Any reports?

Come on ya'll quit talking about snow you're making me jealous. Snow=cuddle time :D :D around my house.

I hunt that area and will be there one month from yesterday. Colorado is starting to get some decent snow. I don't know specifically what that area got from this last storm, but the mountains around here got 3" or so and down south they got 20" in places.

Last year during preseason scouting there were elk everywhere at the base and to the north east of black mountain. Then, the night before my season opened, we got 18' of the white stuff and the elk disappeared from there. I don't know if the snow drove them out, if the muzzleloaders and bowhunters drove them out (doubtfull) or they just left on their own for whatever reason. I had to go lower to find them that year. Odd.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 09-20-2002 07:35: Message edited by: tmsander ]</font>

Last couple of years we ran into to many people in that area. They use horses and got back there first. We ended up getting driven north close to the border to get away from the others. Very few elk spotted and the couple we did see were spooky. I thought about going down farther as there are people real low hunting and way high hunting. Not much in the middle as far as I could see.

When will you be hunting in there this year, Gun Dog? I'm hunting that unit during the 1st combined season. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back