Snake questions

They're not hard to avoid. Listen for the rattle, watch where you step, and proceed slowly on sun-exposed rocks. I've walked up on maybe 12 of them and none too close for comfort.

They must be different where you've been compared to where I've been. In my experience, rattling is the snake's last resort. If you hear a snake rattle, you're already too close to it. Heck, I've had one strike and crawl off without rattling.

I have not seen a Mojave yet, we are on the border of their range. We are not supposed to have the Hopi but quite a few here. Took one out of the barn last week. Twenty years ago I got nailed by a pacific out west but got lucky. Still have the scars on my ankle from it.

They must be different where you've been compared to where I've been. In my experience, rattling is the snake's last resort. If you hear a snake rattle, you're already too close to it. Heck, I've had one strike and crawl off without rattling.

If you get too close when they are stretched out they will coil and strike before you can bat an eye!

If you get too close when they are stretched out they will coil and strike before you can bat an eye!

Snakes cannot coil and strike in the bat of an eye.If you get a Rattlesnake to strike 9-10 times
it's nearly done.50 + years experience> 😎

Most snakes won't rattle unless you wake'em. up.Kinda like women!Sorry Ladies!
Might not be a snake, but a Cougar...Meow! 😎

Gellar has an excellent response.
Rattlers won't always rattle.
A majority of bites are defensive and will not have injected venom. This is energetically expensive for the animal to produce and they can select to infuse or not. It's usually saved for gathering food, but can be defensive.
I have first hand knowledge of this, luckily it was a dry bite. I'm old and me ears are failing, even the hearing aids don't pick up their rattle.
I wear gaiters just in case.
Stay safe n enjoy your time in nature.

Back