Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Snake gaiters

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • None of the above - wear your usual boots

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SRW

I’m kicking around the idea of getting a pair of snake boots before spring turkey season. Problem is, I’m not too keen on snake boots - I’ve yet to try on a pair that fits as well and is as comfortable as a Crispi/Kenetrek/etc. type boot, especially when putting on the miles. Alternatively, does anybody have experience with the Crack Shot Snake Guardz? I feel like I could wear those plus my good boots and be reasonably well protected.

I live in the absolute heart of Copperhead, timber rattler and cottonmouth country and don’t want to get tagged. But I’ve also only had a handful of what might be deemed close calls in the past, so I realize the risk is relatively low.

So, what say ye, Hunt Talkers? Snake boots, snake gaiters, or shut up and hunt (and watch your step!)?

If you’re going to cover a lot of miles get gaiters and wear real hunting boots. For moderate walks around the brush and cactus at my place I prefer snake boots and I also have full height Turtle Skin chaps. They give me a lot of peace of mind as my usual hunting ground has lots of big diamond backs . The only time I’ve had a snake strike at me was two years ago a small rattler bit the toe of my boot, fangs did not penetrate the leather.

First of all, depends on what region of the country you are hunting in. Most areas, snakes are not that aggressive and likely going to avoid you if they know you are coming. Good hiking boots should be plenty enough. Using trekking poles going through tall grass and that will give warning if a snake is near by and give you a chance to steer one away from you.

I have tried several thru the years and learned what does and doesnt work for me. Snake boots are seldom required but was almost necessary where i use to hunt while stationed on east coast. Our concerns were copperheads and cottonmouths most of time but it was not uncommon to see more than dozen venemous snakes in a day, some hunt locations and days WAY more. If your doing any actual hiking in them the only one i have ever found to work is the tall lace up rockys with goretex. I specify the goretex because several of there boots are different grade of materials it seems and they all fit and seem to have different quality and fit standards. I have tried the slip ons, boa systems and other lace ups but those rockys are best. If laced properly they are like wearing really tall light hiker boots. No real support for ankle and kind of flimsy thru sole like a almost tennis shoe but actually comfortable to wear all day in all but vertical terrain. Hope this helps...

19BDA13B-4D1F-415F-BDAF-DEB2405C4F6A.jpegBringing this thread back because I recently wore out my Irish Setter snake boots and decided to switch to steel-toe hiking/work boots with snake proof gaiters. The advantage is that I only need the one pair of boots. Only disadvantage I found on my first hunt with them yesterday is that my calves get a little sweatier in them, but the gaiters are no less comfortable than knee-high snake boots.

I got the new boots & gaiters “blooded,” figuratively and literally, on a public land hunt.

First of all, depends on what region of the country you are hunting in. Most areas, snakes are not that aggressive and likely going to avoid you if they know you are coming. Good hiking boots should be plenty enough. Using trekking poles going through tall grass and that will give warning if a snake is near by and give you a chance to steer one away from you.
You've obviously never been around a cottonmouth lol but I agree otherwise. They will take on anyone or anything that comes near them and once they latch on they tend to not let go. Nasty critters. Glad they are rare in my area.

You've obviously never been around a cottonmouth lol but I agree otherwise. They will take on anyone or anything that comes near them and once they latch on they tend to not let go. Nasty critters. Glad they are rare in my area.
They also swim well and might bite and run while yer wading in the river. I grew up around snakes and used to drive my mom nuts bringing snakes into the house I found on the farm. Ya I have been around cotton mouth. Those can be aggressive once they get to the attack mode.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back