Smoked salmon

Looks delicious. We usually smoke a batch of salmon once or twice a year. I just bought some filets to smoke in the Smokey Mountain Smoker with apple wood.

going for more candied version this time, we'll see how it turns out!

Oh man that's making my mouth water. I spent two summers in Bristol Bay and smoked salmon brined in a little salt and a lot of brown sugar is the best thing I've ever had in my entire life.

We ate a lot of silvers raw with soy sauce and wasabi. That's right up there too.

Oh man that's making my mouth water. I spent two summers in Bristol Bay and smoked salmon brined in a little salt and a lot of brown sugar is the best thing I've ever had in my entire life.

We ate a lot of silvers raw with soy sauce and wasabi. That's right up there too.
Oh ya man, I think salmon tastes way better than tuna like that. Not sure why the Japanese love Tuna so much, I think salmon blows it out of the water ha!

This batch came out a little too salty, but that will be make it perfect for dips. It's not terrible level of salt, but I tend to like less salt so that could be part of it. I did a 1:2 ratio of salt to brown sugar. Maybe I should adjust to 1:3 instead

I think the lady that made ours did 4 parts brown sugar to 1 part salt.

Last edited:
Nice! I can taste those Reds just by looking at them. I recently jerked my remaining Silvers and they turned out awesome!

Nice, that meat is so red, ours are a bit more orange here.

Did you add the brown sugar and honey to the brine or as a glaze?
couple notes before the recipe...

Yes this is the good stuff when it comes to salmon, but the dry rub really darkens it to that color before smoking.

I just dry rub it with 3 parts brown sugar 1 part salt. Sprinkle it over the meat and let rest twelve to twenty four hours. I missed one part of sugar on this batch so it was a little more salt than I'd like.

Once that's done, rinse them well and lay on drying racks in front of a fan. Once the fish is tacky, brush on honey, brown sugar, and water. Keep in front of fan. Repeat as many times as you desire before smoking NV

I'll have to try it like that, those look like bigger fish than I'm getting, 5lbs is a big one here, probably 2-3 lbs average.

They actually look pretty similar, must just be the way you cut them in strips, they look thick. Got some photos from a friend who was up fishing in AK, those ones were pretty big, can't remember what river he said. These are from Lake Wenatchee, also get them in the Columbia River but those ones are a bit smaller. They eat good either way.

Sockeye 2020.jpg

Awesome photos from the smoker. Looks amazing and delicious - thanks for sharing!
How’d the pork belly turn out?? Specific wood choice?? I was going to try a batch w hickory - I’ll need to try brining half to compare and see how it turns out!

They actually look pretty similar, must just be the way you cut them in strips, they look thick. Got some photos from a friend who was up fishing in AK, those ones were pretty big, can't remember what river he said. These are from Lake Wenatchee, also get them in the Columbia River but those ones are a bit smaller. They eat good either way.

View attachment 150051
Water must be a whole heck of a lot warmer there!! I'd freeze my dang feet off trying that! Nice pic though, beautiful clear water.

Awesome photos from the smoker. Looks amazing and delicious - thanks for sharing!
How’d the pork belly turn out?? Specific wood choice?? I was going to try a batch w hickory - I’ll need to try brining half to compare and see how it turns out!

First batch of belly was good. Did apple wood. Not enough smokey flavor to be honest. Got another belly in the brine as we speak, maybe I'll try a heavier smoke on this batch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back