Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Small Munsterlander? and another question?

1_pointer

Anyone ever hunted over or even seen one of these? They do have my attention!! I really like their size. Just wondering.

BTW, when searching a site on info about the Small Munsterlander, it was noted that if one relies on heavy handed training that this is not the breed for them. What are some other breeds like this as I don't like heavy handed treatment of dogs?

Thanks for all the info. I'm starting to narrow down the choices.

You can train any breed with light handed training. :D You pick the training style you want to learn.

Small Munsters---nice dogs, not a lot to choose from. There's a reason GSPs, Wirehairs, Pointers are so popular. Good all around dogs and plenty of breeders to choose from. Pudelpointers are growing in numbers real fast, breeders can't keep up with demand. That's one reason prices are high. Not a lot of demand for Munsters.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-06-2002 22:07: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

I've never even seen one - just pictures. As Ithaca said - not a lot of breeders to choose from. I haven't seen an Spinoni, either. Or a Large Munsterlander. Even Vizlas are fairly rare.

The best dog I ever had was hard-headed. Her half sister was soft, but too much in the field for me. She would run under a chuker or pheasant until it couldn't fly anymore and then bring it back to me, unharmed. She even would swim under them as they flew across a lake and catch them. What did I need a gun for? I gave her to a friend who was a professional trainer, he trained her and sold her and she was a Shoot to Retrieve Champ - go figure.

I'm still in the thinking/planning stage so who knows? ;) The size of the moonsties is their biggest draw for me. They seem like fun little firecrackers to be around. Though, I'm thinking that a PP or GWP (my top two choices) female from a reputable breeder could help pay her own way with a litter of pups!! :D

Take a look here at some ugly dogs and contact this kennel:

http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/photo_gallery.htm

Find Bill Athens at the Versatile Hunting Dogs site message board for some good breeders in the East. Let me know if you need more help.

Here's what I found when I searched for pudelpointers. You mean none of these sites have any info that will lead you to a puppy?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=pudelpointers&btnG=Google+Search

What makes you think you want a pudelpointer?

Bill Athens posts a lot on the message board at this site. Ask how to find him there!

http://www.versatiledogs.com/

http://forum.versatiledogs.com/search.php?search_author=blathens

Or contact NAVHDA and ask how to find him.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-08-2002 19:50: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Would you quit posting those 'ugly' pictures of Scout, you're making me waffle on my choice of dogs!!! ;) I think with a little more twisting I'll have the wife convinced that a PP would fit in well at our house!

TTT slacker admins....
tongue.gif
....who even made a post here himself.

I just found your message board so this looks like it is a year late, but I'll put my two cents worth in anyway.

I own, hunt, and breed the Small Munsterlander pointer. They are a German breed that has been around since the 14th Century or so. They will find, point, track, and retrieve all manner of upland game, small game, waterfowl, and are also used for large game in Germany. They are a longer haired breed, but most don't shed nearly as much as one would expect. They will pick up burrs though. Most are in the 40 to 55 lb range although some males will be over 60. Most people that buy a pup are looking for a smaller dog that will hunt a wide range of game and is calm enough to be a good house dog and has the temperament to be around the kids.

The SMP is more well-known in Germany and Europe, it is the 3rd most popular hunting breed in Germany, and is really just starting to get going here in North America. There are several reasons why the SMP is not more widely known, yet. First, this breed almost went extinct, twice, and was only "rediscovered" in the late 1800's. The biggest reasons they are not more popular here is that they are not recognized by the AKC (nor do we seek this recognition) and most breeders are very tight about who they sell pups to (hunters only in many cases). The idea that demand is low is wrong, demand always exceeds supply, although granted the supply is relatively low.

The SMP is not for everyone, but those who own one rarely want to give them up. It doesn't hurt that thet're not "ugly" either
biggrin.gif
, sorry couldn't resist!

Thanks for the info! I'm still probably a year away from a dog, but like all the info I can get.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back