Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Small Game opportunities around Craig in Sept

Bullshot

I will be in Craig, CO up to the WY line area in mid-Sept for elk and might have time to explore around afterwards but I don't know anything about CO small game hunting and would like to give it a go. Birds or bunnies would be fun! I won't have a dog with me and this is not intended to be a serious small-game effort, but what the heck, licence in my pocket and all. I am all for pouring over the regs and maps myself but if anyone can post or PM me a kickstart on what species are most available up there, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
You don't need a dog. I've never hunted sage grouse in CO, but in WY, you can drive BLM roads in mornings and evenings until you find grouse. The closer you are to water the better. It's more fun with a dog, but being dogless is not a handicap IMO.

You have a good chance of running into blue/dusky grouse in the mountains. Mid-September they will still be in sagebrush/aspen transition areas in my experience.

I think Sage grouse season is in that mid-September time frame and as far as I know there is good habitat up that way. You'll probably run into blue/dusky grouse while chasing elk too.

Sage grouse in 3/301/2, Sept. 14-20. Dusky grouse up towards Freeman Reservoir/Black Mountain. Don't forget your HIP number before going afield.

Great! Thanks all! Time for me to do some more research, nice to know what is in the area. I'll be sure to follow up after my trip if I get a chance to chase anything other than the Elk.... and even if I don't I will still follow up to let you know if I see those grouse up in the mountains!

Nabbed a cow elk and then and had an extra day to hunt grouse. Didn't see many while hunting elk so searched around a bit for the dusky/blue zone. Found it about 2/3 of the way upslope where the cover consisted of scrubby young pines and a thick layer of lowbush blueberry. Once in there, flushes were fast and furious. Got a couple for the table and had a blast. Really it was a highlight of the trip! Can't wait to do it again!

Back