Sleeping in the back country

bradr

I struggle with sleep in my own bed. Been that way for years. Can't really put a finger on a specific reason. Shift work maybe. I have a prescription sleep aid to help, sometimes it works ok, sometimes not. However, on last September's elk trip I slept like never before. We were camped at around 10,000 ft, floorless tent. Not sure if it was the mountain air, just being away on vacation or what, but I don't remember when I had as good of a nights sleep for seven nights in a row as last season. Does anyone else who struggles with sleep have improved sleep in the mountains like I did?

When I'm not working, I sleep like a log. Funny enough, when i've been at deer camp drinking and BS'ing until 1am. I still sleep great. I guess it's because I know i'll be out in the blind at 5am and will get some more great sleep just after lunch. lol. It's all about where you are, especially with no cell service.

It's probably all of the above but mostly altitude. I live at 2,100 ft. and have a cabin at 8,500. When I get up here, I sleep like I'm in a coma. (I also have a splitting headache for a couple of days).

Snuggled in my sleeping bag, on my cot when it is nice and cold is the most restful sleep I have had in the last 20 years.

I need to clarify my earlier post. At the cabin in my memory foam bed I sleep like a baby. I just returned from a five day scouting trip sleeping at +/- 10,000 ft. on a cot with a decent pad and a 30 degree bag. At best, I averaged 3 hours a night.

I tend to sleep better outside than in my home. Regardless of elevation or location. A bit frustrating but makes the time outdoors that much more enjoyable.

I need to clarify my earlier post. At the cabin in my memory foam bed I sleep like a baby. I just returned from a five day scouting trip sleeping at +/- 10,000 ft. on a cot with a decent pad and a 30 degree bag. At best, I averaged 3 hours a night.
If you slept like a baby does that mean you cried a lot and crapped your drawers? lol! ;) 💥

I usually don’t sleep that well on the ground.. I just like being there. I’ve used a Thermarest Z pad in the past and it isn’t all that. Changed to an inflatable pad this year. Hope that helps. Also seem to chase my inflatable pillow around 3-4 times a night with it slides out from under my head. Think I will put double sided Velcro on it and the pad this year to remedy that.

First night I always sleep (read: try to sleep) in utter misery. From then on, as long as I have ear plugs, I do alright. Having to pee 4x/night doesn't help. I always have that one gatorade bottle I try not to mix up. :) As it relates to good gear, I accept a couple extra pounds for the extra comfort when to comes to sleep system. I just went to the doc last week to get some backup drugs if I need it.

The weird thing: in the middle of the day I can nap anywhere and sleep like a baby. Makes no sense at all.

I sleep horribly most times. My ears are hearing every sound outside the tent. I like to take Unisom when I'm at a hotel but I never take them in the backcountry. I want and need all my faculties alert and aware in case Joe Grizzly comes knocking.

I will add that my Klymitt Static V pad is way more comfortable than my own bed at home. Not kidding. I think it's one of the heavier pads on the market, but I'll take the weight penalty since it flat out works for me. Couple other things I do is take 800mg of Ibuprofen and a pkt of electrolytes at bedtime.

Back