Sleeping bag and sleeping pad advice

Jsreid

Looking at putting together some gear for an elk hunt in the next couple of years once my kids get older. New to camping out and looking for a sleeping bag and pad. Thinking in the 10 to 15 degree range. Would like to stay under $300 on a bag and $125 on a pad. I am looking for the best quality, lightest weight synthetic bag I can find. Thoughts? Ideas? I know everyone is big on down but i am looking for the best synthetic option. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd look at Montane, Mountain Equipment and Marmot... if I had one bag I would definitely go down but I think a 15 degree synthetic and a 0 degree down bag is a great combo to have. The prism, is the synthetic bag I have eyed in the past. For a pad I have the thermarest xtherm neoair and I would highly recommend it, exped and big agnes have great pads as well. If you keep your eye on rei or backcountry you can get a big deal... I got my xtherm for $120.

Any thoughts or experience with Marmont ultra elite 20 synthetic or Re Coop Magma 10 down bags?

I will never own another bag that doesn't have the built in sleeve for the mat to slide in. Never roll off your sleeping mat again. Big Agnes has it, not sure who else.

Last edited:
If you could find a marmot electrum I would recommend it. It is a great bag with a down and synthetic mix but they do not make them anymore. The rei magma is a great bag also but the only downside to it in my opinion is it is not wide enough and feels tight with only a 64 inches in shoulder girth. I carry a heavier bag but is a lot more comfortable for me. If not having much wiggle room when you sleep is not a problem then that is one I would definitely consider.

I have had pretty good luck over the years with Sierra design synthetic bags. Ive got 6 of them, 2 of which are 25 years old (I have never had a reason to purchase anything different). I personally have Never owned a down bag but have been tempted (Washington state resident) but just can't do it as I spend way too much time in moist if not wet conditions. I also own a few REI synthetic bags that have actually been very good bags and are super affordable. If you are really concerned about the ability to retain heat, keep in mind a really good pad (assuming you're on the ground) is worth it's weight in gold. A really good pad can be worth 10-15deg. Of course, depending on what you plan on using your sleep system for will determine how much money you will spend. It sounds as if your looking for a system for backpacking? Keep in mind the possibility of going lighter/cooler rating for a bag and pad given a sleep ware clothing package that you may sleep in (wool, down puffy shirt and pants, fleece base layer etc.). Just a thought.

Good luck in your search

I will never own another bag that doesn't have the built in sleeve for the mat to slide in. Never roll off your sleeping mat again. Big Agnes has it, not sure who else.
I'm in this camp. I'm largely a slide sleeper and find this type setup makes it much easier to stay on the pad.

The Lost Ranger model as served me well. If you are girthy at all, get the long as it's also bigger around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back