Skis vs. snowshoes

mountainlaurel3

Skis win, this time.
IMG_20220202_094750100.jpg
Didn't have to work until 1 yesterday, fresh snow after a long dry spell had me eschewing lifts in favor of my second time on skis looking for snowshoes.

Found this one stock still at the base of a tree. Twas ugly, as I shot it, but not fatal, had to chase after it to shoot again. Still not dead, I then tried to wring it's neck, which it turns out is harder than it looks. Sorry, little one.

Also, note to self, scope covers are necessary when hunting in a bunch of snow.

After (my first) two harvestless seasons, that brings my season total to 1 grouse, 1 buck, 2 diving ducks, 1 snowshoe. Almost like I know what I'm doing!

Cool. I do enjoy skis, but mostly seem to get out on snowshoes anymore. Great way to hunt in winter!

Nice! What is your technique for finding them? I often backcountry ski and find a ton of tracks but haven't really found critters. Granted I am not really looking for them most of the time. Gets me thinking I should bring the .22 on my next adventure.

This is hardcore! I've chased rabbits and pine squirrels with snowshoes and it's a heck of a workout. I've never done it biathlon style though I could be convinced especially with a pair of black diamond gliderite trekking skis

Nice! What is your technique for finding them? I often backcountry ski and find a ton of tracks but haven't really found critters. Granted I am not really looking for them most of the time. Gets me thinking I should bring the .22 on my next adventure.
Don't feel qualified to give any sort of hunting advice, but here's what I did.

I've flushed some snowshoes while backcountry skiing and seen lots of tracks. Chose a spot at similar elevation to where I've seen them (but without 30+ degree slopes), then just skinned somewhat aimlessly through the trees.

I had a good day for it, as it had snowed maybe 4 or 5 inches overnight, but the snow had slowed down. Because of the consistent snow, you could make a pretty good guess as to how long had passed since a track was made. I'd follow tracks a bit, do the rabbit-hunting stop and start thing, expecting to see something flush when I stopped.

Instead, I was coming out of thicker trees towards a meadow, saw what looked like the freshest tracks I'd seen in the meadow, and was just thinking about what to do when I spotted this one under a tree. Seems like I might have missed it 7/10 times, but got lucky.

I've also been tempted to ski with a .22 (this was a hunt on skis, not skiing for skiing purposes), but I think a .22 pistol makes the most sense. Don't want to worry about crashing on the rifle/scope or trying to hitchhike with a long gun...
This is hardcore! I've chased rabbits and pine squirrels with snowshoes and it's a heck of a workout. I've never done it biathlon style though I could be convinced especially with a pair of black diamond gliderite trekking skis
I raced nordic in high school and have always wanted to do biathlon, so guess I might as well settle for the real thing!

Perhaps chasing stranded Russian tanks on skis would be a more accurate real-life biathlon, but I'll have to settle for bunnies.

Some day, I'll get an elk with enough snow to skin it out with a pulk.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing. My first snowshoe wasn’t the cleanest either. A little tip for dispatching: grab them by the back legs with one hand, with their back facing away from you. Swing it like a baseball bat so the back of the head squarely connects with a decent sized tree trunk.

Nice job on the snowshoe!

I do a lot of hunting and trapping off skis every year. I gave my snowshoes away and purchased a set of skishoes. My XC skis are great for a lot of terrain but not having a real hunting boot on can be a pain. Having short fat skis with skins(so I don’t take off down hill like a rocket) has been awesome. When I get to a spot I can’t ski, I pop them off and have my normal hunting boots on and ready to go. I’ve shot plenty of cats, coyotes, rabbits and other critters on skis. They are the only way to go in deep snow. I can’t even count the number of beavers I’ve skied out of the woods with on my back.

I don't think Ive worn my snowshoes since I bought skis... Ive used them to access hunting areas but I have never really actually pursued animals on them. Ive mostly used them to look for wolves.
Ive been wanting to try a pair of scaled Voiles as approach/hunting skis.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back