Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sitka vs Under Armour

montanadogs

So I'm looking at updating my hunting cloths starting this Christmas. I just don't know which to go with. I like the feel of both and they both are comfortable to wear(around the store anyway) Both are over priced but I really like how they fit and they are comfortable so price don't matter much. I'm looking at the Sitka Kalvin jacket and the timberline pants, for under armour i'm looking at the ridge reaper series. Just seeing what you guys think, pro's/con's etc. Thanks.

Wish I could justify spending that much on hunting clothes. I'm willing to do so on waterproof gear but for normal clothes I'm out.
I've worn the Sitka stuff and really like the feel especially the strechiness of the pants. I'm envious of your situation. Never have tried under armor. I'm still wearing the army surplus pants I got in high school :D

Lawnboy, doesn't Randy have you wear Sitka when your in front of the camera? I'm just making sacrifices to get some gear that does not seem to be made cheap and wear out after a year or two. With the amount I've spent on cheap cloths in the last 4 years I could have had been wearing sitka for a while. I'm really hard on gear.

Yea that has been my experience with it. Don't get me wrong it is really nice stuff. I really started to like the pants with the kneepads as well. It has tougher material on the butt and knees which is a great idea. You're probably right in that you can spend the money once or buy cheaper but more often.
If you have the money I don't think you will be disappointed.

I have the kelvin jacket and like it along with the other Sitka items I have. No real complaints. I really like the 90% pants - they fit good and are thicker than the ascent pants. I have no experience with UA other than the original cold gear base layers. That is pretty good but I prefer the smart wool stuff.

I've been wearing Sitka Acsent pants and 1/4 zip shirt for three years and it still looks like new. My only recomendation would be to get the merino wool version of the shirt. That other poly whatever fabric stinks after a couple hours if it's warm, doesn't matter the manufacturer.

Hate to be a debby downer, but in my opinion Under Armour doesn't wick moisture at all, it seems like it holds it in. Sitka stuff is nice and have the polyester base layer and like it, but just got a smart wool merino base layer, way better. Also I have broken a button, zipper and two tighteners on my sitka pants. Maybe I'm hard on my stuff, but for the price I thought it would hold up. Really enjoy Outdoor Research's products. Patagonia makes really good stuff as well and you can get some great deals at the outlet in Dillon. I guess you don't get the fancy camo with those brands. Unfortunately while they do make quality products, I think a lot money in (sitka, kuiu, russell, under armour, etc.) goes towards your sex appeal rather than the actual product.

Wish I could justify spending that much on hunting clothes. Never have tried under armor. I'm still wearing the army surplus pants I got in high school :D

That is because your clothing budget is put towards matching outfits with the woman!:D

I have both sets. Full sitka package including the Kelvin top and bottom. I also have the UA coldgear. If you have the cash, Id go with the Sitka stuff. Super light, and easy to on/off. The UA stuff is not as warm and makes my skin itch and always rubs my body hair wrong. I find that I seldom wear it anymore.

Lawnboy I hear ya.

Looking at a Cabela's catalog . . . . Look at the Sitka Fanatic Jacket ($389.00) and then looking at the Sitka Fanatic Vest ($189.00) . . . . the only difference between the two items is one has sleeves and the other does not. Doing the math . . . . that's $100.00 per sleeve OR $100.00 for that amount of fabric.

Sitka, KUIU, First Lite, etc. . . This stuff is like fishing tackle (fishing lures) the folks buying this stuff are the one's that really get hooked. This stuff is great looking stuff, but I cannot feel right about spending that much money on a shirt, gloves, beanie, vest, jacket, etc.

Originally Posted by Lawnboy View Post
Wish I could justify spending that much on hunting clothes. Never have tried under armor. I'm still wearing the army surplus pants I got in high school

I wish I could fit in my clothes from high school. :D I have collected a lot of sitka gear over the years looking for sales. You can get good deals when a new pattern comes out and you get the old pattern. I love it and was very happy with it.

I have a lot of Sitka and wear it all season for elk and deer. I've got the Traverse set, Kelvin set, Celsius top, 90%, ascent & timberline pants, Jetstream vest, Coldfront jacket, hats, gloves, and I think that's it. I had a Bivy 4500 and got rid of it after one season. There aren't many items from Sitka that I haven't had issues with. It either falls apart in my hands or after light use. The timberline pants so far have been great, but almost everything else either comes apart at the seems, buckles bend, pockets rip off, the list goes on. I don't know what the deal is. I'm hard on things, but not that hard. I buy nice stuff so it'll put up to my abuse and with Sitka I just haven't had much luck. I keep wearing it, but it's not warm unless you're moving. I haven't bought anything that wasn't on sale so I don't feel as though I've been too ripped off. I'm looking into other options so I'm really curious how the UA stuff or Krytek stuff performs. If you have a question of which way to go I would recommend UA or some of the stuff Lawnboy uses. Sitka isn't the only stuff out there and it's nowhere close to the most rugged. Good luck!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back