Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sitka Pants for Archery Elk

Sweetmeat

After buying a falling in love with my Sitka hoodie last season, I bought a pair of Sitka Timberlines for my upcoming archery elk hunt this fall. My thought process was to error on the side of warmth and eliminate the need for a base layer, but its hard to tell without actually trying them out. $225 is a lot for a pair of pants and I just want to be confident I made the right choice. Obvoiusly we can't predict the weather, but did I get too heavy of pants or am I overthinking this?

If you're in MT, they will prob be too warm. I'd suggest the Apex line.

Way too warm for average archery season weather.
But I think the Apex is too warm to do much hiking in if the weather is mild too.
55 degrees feels pretty warm with a pack on, on a sunny day, climbing a mountain.

I wear the ascent for almost everything. If it’s cooler, I pair them with Kuiu zip off long johns, then take the johns off as it warms up.
I wear the Timberlines when it’s cold and snowy.

I’ll have to check more into the accents. I kind of just dismissed them because I thought they’d be freezing in the mornings and evenings.

The timberlines will be too warm. Ascents or maybe apex would be better if only using them for early archery. If I had to choose just one for both archery and rifle seasons it'd be the mountains for sure. They are a little warm when it's real hot out, and a bit chilly when its real cold. But for a do it all they are my favorites by far. Only thing I would change on them would be side zips like the kuiu attacks.

I guess I'll be the one guy to go against the curve here. Last year was my first year with Timberlines and wore them during Archery season and didn't have any issues with being too warm. I'm in Montana. The knee pads revolutionized my life. If I remember right from the week I was out last September chasing elk we were seeing 30-40's in the morning and the hottest we saw that week was 70's, so it was not overly hot. If its real warm out and I am hiking, it does not matter what I am wearing, i am sweating my butt off regardless.

Yep, the knee pads were a bit of a game changer for me, as well as the waterproof butt. It is damp to wet at times in WA even in September. I have not had an issue with them being overly warm for me. This was also true for Montana in October.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back