Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Sitka & Kenetrek Experience

Brentster7189

So after months of trying different gear, going to the various stores and looking first hand, and browsing reviews and descriptions of gear over and over again (a lot of you know what I'm talking about), because this gear is not cheap, and sometimes just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better. I decided to take the plunge on some of this stuff and see how it performed.

I started off with a pair of Danner Pronghorns during grouse season and did some elevation with them, they were a little loose for me considering I would be chukar hunting with them too in the future, as well as elk hunting. I took them back and sprung for a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Boots. Just putting them on was a new boot experience, I had never had something fit snuggly like they did, and at first was a little concerned with it. Granted during my break in period I got some blistering on my heal, but nothing some duct tape couldn't temporarily fix. After many days of elk hunting and some upland hunting, I have to see these boots impress me beyond belief. I've gotten sore feet before in other boots just hunting, but my feet were not sore at all after all day long in the Kenetreks. I thought they might be because the boots are so firm and solid on the bottom, but I guess that is what actually prevented them from getting sore and fatigued. My feet also stayed warm and dry through some wet conditions. So on those...I'm very happy I got them, now for that price...I hope they last a really long time! :D

So then it was on to some Sitka gear, I spent quite a while trying to pick a system based on when I would be hunting, which would be mid October - late November. After trying some stuff on, and layering it up I went with the following:

• Open Country Ascent Pants
  • Open Country Crew Shirt SS
  • Open Country Traverse Zip-T
  • Open Country Traverse Beanie
  • Open Country Bandit
  • Open Country Traverse Gloves
  • Open Country Jetstream Jacket

Having never actually spent a lot of money on gear like this before I was once again skeptical of clothing that was so thin yet supposed to provide such incredible performance and protection. I'm pretty sure that the 4.54 lbs of this gear was a lot less weight compared to my old stuff that really offered no protection from the elements.

Having worn it for a week of elk hunting...I am double impressed. I can agree that the trick is the layering, and since the clothing is lightweight and compact it is easy and quick to change your layers. I usually started off with most on in the morning, and in the evening, and took the jacket off during the day. The bandit, gloves, and beanie work good for sitting on areas, all that you expose are your eyes, and you stay pretty warm. I didn't wash it all week, and it didn't smell, even the SS Crew I wore right against me. The Jetstream Jacket is impressive...truly windproof in every sense of the word. Wearing the gear was like not wearing anything, it was so comfortable, and did it's job with the elements. Having gear that does it's job and you can devote your time and concentration on what your supposed to be doing...well, there is no substitute.

I'm very happy in my choices, because it works for me, and how I hunt. I defiantly recommend this stuff if you can afford it.

Brentster90210678912345...just kiddin' ya!! I've been using Sitka and Kenetreks for two years now and echo your appreciation for the level of quality and warmth this stuff can provide. For this season I bought the Coldfront top and bottom and Kelvin top and bottom to add to my 90%, Traverse and Core sets. I can't remember ever being so comfortable hiking or hunting in anything as comfortable and form fitting as Sitka Gear. When I put it on for the first time this year I kept thinking, I feel like I'm wearing pajamas...and I wore the stuff all last year, but putting it on again I was totally impressed all over again. I used to get blisters in my Kenetreks constantly and could never figure out why so this year I mixed it up with some liners under my smartwools...HOLY COW!! My issue was GONE! I fell in love with the boots all over again. I'm a strong believer in surroundig yourself with quality gear and it will help with having a quality hunt. So far I have not been disappointed. There are guys out there who don't want to or even don't need to buy the stuff and for their purposes something else will work, but for me and my style of hunting Sitka and Kenetrek have no equal!!

Good write up and appreciated, I have been seriously considering the system myself. I think this spring when I head for my bear hunt if plans go as I hope I'll be picking some of this up for my hunt. I was planning on asking in a post because I was concerned about smell the most. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and experiences with this gear. Much appreciated. I too have Kennetrek Mountain extremes (2nd year) and love my sitka ascent pants especially early-mid season.

However, I hate comments like IdahoDawg's :mad: best to usually ignore, but I'm having a bad week; therefore, a little edgy.

you must make a lot of money:hump:

It is going to be very interesting over the next few years to see how hunting gear manufacturers are going to shake out.

The new Russell APXg2 gear is a nice mid market point especially with the steep discounts alot of it sold for this summer for last years lineup and now with Core4 coming out with their lineup and Kuiu coming out with their lineup Sitka has some pretty comparable competition.

Hopefully this will result in even better products at more reasonable prices and everyone ends up winning.

Having worn the Core4, Sitka and Russell APXg2 year this fall already a little bit, all of it is light years ahead of the stuff I've worn previously in terms of comfort, quietness and effectiveness. The Kuiu gets pretty good reveiws as well and UnderArmor is making an attempt to move into the hunting clothing arena as well.

My old hunting clothes were useable, my new "gear" is comfortable. I don't think I'm going to ever kill a bigger animal because of the clothes I'm wearing, but I'll for sure be more comfortable when I'm out there.

"I used to get blisters in my Kenetreks constantly and could never figure out why so this year I mixed it up with some liners under my smartwools...HOLY COW!! My issue was GONE!"

two pairs of socks, always, would save a lot of people from blisters.

I love that sitka gear.

Maybe I got an inheritance from a relative that meant a lot to me so I decided to use the money for something they know I would use and know I would appreciate. Maybe I saved my money and didn't take any vacations or out of state vacations this year. Maybe I didn't get any out of state tags. Maybe I decided to be frugal and spend money on gear this year instead of some other things.

Interesting how a product review turns into a personal justification of how a person is able to afford to pay for it?

I'll stand by my original reasoning of why I posted this, to give others some additional insight on gear they might be interested in buying, or that would like additional information, comments, and reviews from those that have actually used it.

Anyways...rant over, back to the real subject.

Awww Brent...I work with you!!! You should know me better than that. I just spent 700 bucks on a bow this summer...who am I to say anything!

True fowlness for certain! But I did think I may have set a standard for other forums on keeping the subject focused. No worries my friend. I'm sure many were looking to see some kind of heated battle now on this thread...no such luck.

A bow is defiantly a worthy addition to the arsenal!

Brentster, thanks for your review. What was the coldest temps you were in with your new gear? I know the trick is the layering but when I looked at the Sitka gear I was worried about staying warm enough in what seemed just too light of clothes. Just recently in WY I was sure wishing I had sprung for something like the Sitka clothes, that wet falling snow had me soaked after a few hours in it. Good luck on your upcoming hunts!

Brentster, thanks for your review. What was the coldest temps you were in with your new gear? I know the trick is the layering but when I looked at the Sitka gear I was worried about staying warm enough in what seemed just too light of clothes. Just recently in WY I was sure wishing I had sprung for something like the Sitka clothes, that wet falling snow had me soaked after a few hours in it. Good luck on your upcoming hunts!

Probably only around 35 at the coldest. I did get rained on, and it was damp, and also wind at times. So I can say for certain in those conditions that my gear held up. I got totally poured on one time and had to walk a few miles in it, and my Jetstream held out and didn't take long to dry when I got back to base, thank goodness for the hood! I think for the late hunts in November & December I would probably add some Traverse bottoms and upgrade the hat and gloves to Jetstream. But as long as your moving, and not stand hunting, then this gear works very well.

Last edited:
Brentster, the traverse zip and core zip is plenty if your hiking...cool when you stop till the sweat dissipates though. Light and comfortable for sure but you have to admit, MtMiller looks too cute in that new kooyoo stuff.:D

"I used to get blisters in my Kenetreks constantly and could never figure out why so this year I mixed it up with some liners under my smartwools...HOLY COW!! My issue was GONE!"

two pairs of socks, always, would save a lot of people from blisters.

I love that sitka gear.

I just switched over to narrows which they just came out with this year. So far they are working great but I'm still in the break in period. I have narrow feet and was 2 socking as well just to take up some room. Now I can do either 1 or 2 socks and I think I'm liking this flexibility better. They are great boots and I loved my other ones as well. I had a leak appear this fall which was promptly taken care of. Their customer service has been great. Some products you pay a ton for and the company will take care of you and others you pay a ton and have to fight for any help. My Big Agnes comes to mind along with Leica stuff. Some of these companies act as though there is zero profit margin in their products and therefore can't help you if the product fails.:mad: Ridiculous

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back