Sitka, First Lite or Others vs burrs

Matt Foley

Not trying to start another comparision thread but have a specific question. I am looking at picking up some new hunting apparrel for Colorado archery season. I am specifically looking at Sitka, First Lite and maybe Kuiu. I picked up a pair of Sitka ascent pants a few years ago and like them a lot except that they are burr magnets. There are a lot of burrs where I hunt and it seems like I spend half the day picking burrs off my pants. I can ignore a few burrs but it gets really bad. In the past I have used camo BDUs and have only had issues with burrs in the hem areas and in my shoe laces. Also, my wifes biggest hunting pet peeves is my bringing burrs home and them ending up embedded in the carpet.

Has Sitka solved this problem or does Sitka have other hot weather pants and shirts that don't have this issue? Has anyone, who hunts burr invested areas, had experience with the other mentioned brands or any other brand? I am even intrigued by the Rocky Venator pants because they are advertised as burr resistant.

I've used all three, all of them are going to suffer from similar issues. What you really need are canvas pants... the new FL pants might fair a bit better https://www.firstlite.com/sawbuck-preview.html

Honestly when I'm hunting upland, lots of burrs, I just use carhartts, they aren't my favorite pick for backpacking pants but that's the route I would go.

I own a handful of Sitka products. I do like them. Don't have any experience with First Lite or Kuiu. If you are looking at a pant that doesn't collect burs and is durable and affordable, look at the Wrangler outdoor series of pants. Surprisingly they are well made, wick moister, dry quickly and are durable. I have also found pretty good luck with Swiss Tech. Don't expect to get either one of these pants in a camo pattern but they do have Greys, greens and sage colors. Neither of them have knee pad pockets like Sitka or some of the big name hunting brands so if that is a game changer then don't bother. The Wranglers would be the most bur free of the two for sure.

The Swiss Tech Travel Pants have become my go to summer pant. Light, dry super fast, comfortable and durable. The Wranglers I am speaking of are the NW780 zip cargo pant which are a little thicker and more durable than the Swiss Tech and can be used in all seasons. Fit and comfort are really good for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a handful of Sitka products. I do like them. Don't have any experience with First Lite or Kuiu. If you are looking at a pant that doesn't collect burs and is durable and affordable, look at the Wrangler outdoor series of pants. Surprisingly they are well made, wick moister, dry quickly and are durable. I have also found pretty good luck with Swiss Tech. Don't expect to get either one of these pants in a camo pattern but they do have Greys, greens and sage colors. Neither of them have knee pad pockets like Sitka or some of the big name hunting brands so if that is a game changer then don't bother. The Wranglers would be the most bur free of the two for sure.

The Swiss Tech Travel Pants have become my go to summer pant. Light, dry super fast, comfortable and durable. The Wranglers I am speaking of are the NW780 zip cargo pant which are a little thicker and more durable than the Swiss Tech and can be used in all seasons. Fit and comfort are really good for me.

I've been wearing both of those pants every day for about a year now. I like the pocket layout and fit of the Wranglers so I have more pairs of those than the Swiss Tech's. I work in a dirty, unconditioned warehouse, worn them hunting and hiking many miles as well as doing yard work in them. They have held up extremely well, are very comfortable and cool and have also dried quickly the few times I've been stuck working and hiking in the rain. I tend to be hot natured so haven't had the need to run a base layer under them but its definitely an option in cooler weather.

The Swiss Techs are on clearance at my local Walmart for $13 (got another pair today) and the Wranglers hold steady at $22. I have a pair of similar style pants from Cabelas that were $75 that I hardly wear anymore because the Wranglers are better.

The Swiss Techs are on clearance at my local Walmart for $13 (got another pair today) and the Wranglers hold steady at $22. I have a pair of similar style pants from Cabelas that were $75 that I hardly wear anymore because the Wranglers are better.

Prana is also another brand of pants I have looked at and tried on. Definitely cheaper than the big name hunting brands. Materials are similar to the wrangler pants, have reinforced knees and crotch area for a bit steeper price than the wranglers. I do not own a pair given the choices and price I previously mentioned but I do hear good things about them. Just another option. If I did more winter hunting I would probably spring for a set of Sitka's or two but I would rather spend my money on upper body layers of which I do own (a handful of shirts, jackets, vests from Sitka) and do really like them and think they are worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a pair of the first lite brush pants the other week and I think I am gonna love them. Confident enough I already sold off my other brush pants.

Gaiters or an upland pant will solve your burr problems.

Gaiters and BDU's are my go to,Also carry a really heavy comb.
(Like back in the 80's)Pops burrs and Cholla/Jumping Cactus
right off,Unless you walk right into A Cholla. then you need pliers.
Been there done that on many occasion....:cool:

I purchased some Sitka shirts, rain gear, and vest this year but opted for some of the Prana Zion stretch pants and I absolutely love them so far. I think you will still have the burr issues but they are excellent pants at a fraction of the other big names. That said I'm tempted to try the FL Sawbucks but will probably wait for a used pair to pop up.

Prana is also another brand of pants I have looked at and tried on. Definitely cheaper than the big name hunting brands. Materials are similar to the wrangler pants, have reinforced knees and crotch area for a bit steeper price than the wranglers. I do not own a pair given the choices and price I previously mentioned but I do hear good things about them. Just another option. If I did more winter hunting I would probably spring for a set of Sitka's or two but I would rather spend my money on upper body layers of which I do own (a handful of shirts, jackets, vests from Sitka) and do really like them and think they are worth the money.

GoHunt has Prana on sale plus you can use code Randy & save 10%

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back