Sitka Cloudburst vs Cabelas Space Rain

NDGuy

Anyone had both? I recently purchased the Cloudburst set as it was on clearance for $380ish at Scheels awhile back. I have been researching the Cabelas Space Rain set and saw they were on sale for $127 shipped. I pulled the trigger to compare to the Cloudburst. Although I am sure the Sitka set is "better" I have heard solid reports of the Cabelas stuff and figured I could save myself $250 going with the Cabelas set.

Anyone have any advice? I would rarely be in nasty downpour weather as most of my hunting is truck camping or local. That's why I am leaning on skimping for now.

First
BB.jpg

I've been more apt to look at mountaineering lines lately for clothing vs. Hunting companies. Better gear and price usually.
Like which?

But specifically I am looking for input on the two pieces I mentioned.

I re read your post and realized I didn't answer. I'd say that if your not using rain gear a lot then your fine. If it's a piece your gonna use a bunch then I'd probably do somethin else. I'm not impressed with sitka cloud burst setup...... some love it I didn't.

Arcteryx
Mont bell
Kuhl
Cotopaxi
Kathmandu
Patagonia
Mammut
Stone glacier
Etc.

I've been more apt to look at mountaineering lines lately for clothing vs. Hunting companies. Better gear and price usually.

Hunting companies have better packs, pants, and to some degree merino other than that I'm shopping mountaineering brands.

I have both and have used both. The Space Rain Gear (SRG) is a very good value for the money IMO. Its compact & light so that you can always have it with you in your pack. It doesn't do well fighting against stuff like rose thorn or raspberry bushes. Mine has a few pieces of duct tape on the inside of the rips for repairs.

The Sitka is good stuff and I like the fleecy outer. Its bulkier and heavier than the SRG therefore it doesn't always go in my pack. If going out into an all day rain, this is the stuff I'd choose...

I also have KUIU raingear. Its model I have is light weight like the SRG and it works well. It too can always be with you as its light & compact. But it costs more than the SRG.

Anyone had both? I recently purchased the Cloudburst set as it was on clearance for $380ish at Scheels awhile back. I have been researching the Cabelas Space Rain set and saw they were on sale for $127 shipped. I pulled the trigger to compare to the Cloudburst. Although I am sure the Sitka set is "better" I have heard solid reports of the Cabelas stuff and figured I could save myself $250 going with the Cabelas set.

Anyone have any advice? I would rarely be in nasty downpour weather as most of my hunting is truck camping or local. That's why I am leaning on skimping for now.
Sitka stands by their products, while Cabelas is less and less. Sitka!

I've had and used both. I used the space rain for several years. It soaked through fairly quickly and I ripped them ....often. It felt like I was walking around in a thin plastic bag. But ya, it's light, but so is a lot of shit I don't pack into the mtns.

The downside of the sitka stuff is the noise. I switched to the Kuiu chugach, and it's good stuff, but if I had my choice, I'm going back to cloudburst.

I’ve had both. Like others have mentioned, the Space Rain has torn several times in me. I’ve never had a problem with Sitka

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back