Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sitka clothing help

ORElkie

I'm hoping to get some advice on purchasing some Sitka gear. I decided this year it was time to buy some decent clothes but hot damn there is a lot of options. I really like what I see from Sitka, and think that is the direction I will go because I don't like the idea of not being able to try on the Kuiu stuff before buying, but honestly could probably be talked into that route as well. Anyway, I hunt central and eastern Oregon and mostly hunt archery season. So warmer weather as a general rule. At least during the day, anyway. I was thinking about going with some ascent pants and for sure a base layer core lightweight long sleeve shirt, but what else do I need for uppers? I was looking at the ascent jacket, or maybe a traverse zip T, but do I need both? I guess I was thinking the jacket would have better water proof properties, but maybe the zip T does too. I feel kind of silly asking these questions, but I stopped into the Cabelas in Boise and there was literally no one there that could answer my guestions so I left with my wallet firmly intact (in their defense it was the weekend). I know there is a gear forum, but I have spent all of my time in the elk forum and this really is an elk hunting related question, so I figured this was as good a place as any.

Bonus question, would the ascent line also be decent option for say an early November rifle season in Idaho?

Thanks everyone,
Dan

I have every piece they make, in both Open Country and Optifade. The gear is well thought out and performs remarkably well. But, it is an investment, so I would look for the pieces you can get the most utility from over the greatest extent of season.

For early season, the Ascent is a very good option. Just understand it is for hot weather and active hunting. Not sure what the temps will be at that time of year where you are hunting. I prefer the Mountain Pants over the Ascent Pants in all but the warmest weather. If you can tolerate being a big warm on the warmest days, the Mountain Pants will extend their utility far into the colder seasons by adding a pair of Merino base layer underneath. I wore Mountain Pants all year last year, even into December, with the exception of an archery elk hunt in NM when the temps were pushing 80F.

As for tops, get yourself a good Merino wool base layer and then a mid-weight Zip-T. Again that will get you through the early season and on into the later seasons.

As for a jacket, not sure how much rain you encounter. Or, if you ever end up in snow. I usually don't wear a jacket in warm weather of archery, relying on a small poncho when it rains. I then have a layer of my Merino underneath a light or mid-weight Zip-T, depending upon temps and activity level. When it is time for a jacket, it is hard to get me away from the Jetstream.

As to your bonus question - "Bonus question, would the ascent line also be decent option for say an early November rifle season in Idaho?" If being cold is enjoyable, then the answer is Yes. ;) As great as the Ascent is for hot weather, you would not like it for November rifle hunts in Idaho. If you are considering this, surely go with the Mountain Pant.

That response is based on personal experience hunting in that gear from August to December, from Montana to Arizona. Good luck with your choice.

That is fantastic info, and just what I was hoping for. And actually it is pretty fitting that you responded Randy, seeing as how it was your podcast with the "mad scientists" at Sitka that had me sold on their product. I was waffling back and forth on the mountain pant vs. the ascent and think I will definitely go with the mountain pant. I came up hunting back in Upper Michigan and this western business is a whole other ball of wax so I sincerely appreciate the feedback. And actually I have family that lives just south of your old stomping grounds in MN in the Detroit Lakes area of Minnesota, so I have spent a bit of time in that area. Very pretty country. I have always meant to do some ice fishing for 'eyes on Lake of the Woods up there, but man that is a long drive from Oregon in January...

Thanks again,

Dan

If your looking for a good merino wool base layer a lot of my guides and back country skiers/snowboarders friends use icebreaker. I wish I could use wool clothing but i'm allergic. I'm currently also switching over to Sitka(i really like the 90% jacket) picking up pieces on sale here and there

One advantage to living in Northern California is I've been able to go to the Kuiu headquarters store and see all the products first hand. I've be really happy and purchased a bunch of it. I like the way it fits my body type, which is slim/athletic. Sitka is great stuff and you can't go wrong with Randy's advice. Both are top quality, along with Firstlite. Kuiu built a semi truck that is touring the country this year to attend a variety of outdoor events. Not sure if it's going to Oregon but might be worth checking their website before you drop good $$. They also have a very liberal return policy. Not trying to sell you but something's to consider. Good luck!

Someone turned me on to Kings Camo. Never paid much attention to material. Material means more than pattern.

Look for material and comfortability.

I'd be really interested to hear feedback on Sitka's waterproof stuff, specifically pants. Unlike ORElkie, I live on the wet side of Oregon...where rainfall is literally measured in feet for the year, and everything that grows here has thorns.

I'd be really interested to hear feedback on Sitka's waterproof stuff, specifically pants. Unlike ORElkie, I live on the wet side of Oregon...where rainfall is literally measured in feet for the year, and everything that grows here has thorns.

I have worn the Stormfront series of rain gear in Southeast Alaska for many hunts, from bear to Sitka Blacktails in the alpine that required fighting through hours of Devil's Club. It is the best thing I have found as far as breathable. Hard to beat the PVC/rubber stuff for endless days of torrential "turd floater" rain. But those of us who have tired it know what a problem PVC/Rubber is when being active while hunting.

It is surely an investment, so hopefully you get a lot of use from it. Congrats on that bull in your avatar. Mrs. Fin sent me an email with your comments. Thanks for the kind note.

if your looking for stuff there is a Sitka Buy and Sell group on Facebook and theres always Camofire the odd time

I have worn the Stormfront series of rain gear in Southeast Alaska for many hunts, from bear to Sitka Blacktails in the alpine that required fighting through hours of Devil's Club. It is the best thing I have found as far as breathable. Hard to beat the PVC/rubber stuff for endless days of torrential "turd floater" rain. But those of us who have tired it know what a problem PVC/Rubber is when being active while hunting.

It is surely an investment, so hopefully you get a lot of use from it. Congrats on that bull in your avatar. Mrs. Fin sent me an email with your comments. Thanks for the kind note.

Stormfront it is then. Thanks for the reply, and all the other info you share, but you should really let Mrs. Fin take a break now and then. She was up awful late tending to emails.

Does anyone know the differnece between the Merino Core Zip-T and the Core Heavyweight Zip-T, I will be in SD and MT in November and what to know which one would keep me warmer

For archery, I hunt in the ascent pants and a merino wool Sitka shirt. I have a vest and 90% jacket for cold mornings and their ultra light weight rain gear. Everything fits great and is awesome but I wish I had ordered the rain jacket on size larger for layering.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back