Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Single Shot Shotguns

I tried to shoot the "Mule Killer" one handed...Once.
Had a H3LL of a time finding that gun amongst the cactus! 😎

See if you can find a used H&R single shot somewhere. I have one in 20 gauge with a modified choke barrel, and use it for small game hunting and have tried it turkey hunting as well. It's very light and simple, and recoil isn't bad at all.

My grandfather left me his old 10 gauge Iver Johnson Champion single shot. It was made back when recoil pads were for wimps, it has a hard buttplate. I shot it exactly 1 time. After my vision cleared, I realized that I could now clap my shoulder blades together. It now sits in my safe where I take it out, wipe it down thinking of grandpa, and put it right back.

I got a single shot that I think is an old Remington 12 gauge. It's belonged to my great grandpa and me being 63 gives you an idea how old that shot gun is. However, it's done me nicely for rabbit, dove, ducks and geese. It's old enough it don't have a serial number assigned to it.

Really wish H&R would start making them again. Should have bought one when they were cheap.

I have a couple of older H/R’s. One is my boy’s 410 and the other is a 12. The 12 started out with a 32in barrel but I had it cut back to 26in and threaded for chokes with an improved bead also. It’s a pretty versatile gun now, patterns really good with a Carlson’s extended turkey choke and federal premium 3in #5’s. It’s a dream to carry all day.

I am interested in purchasing a single shot shotgun for turkey hunting and for hiking around in the spring looking for sheds. I have pumps and side by side but I like the profile of the single shot for ease of carry since I carry a side arm most of the time anyway. Anyone have suggestions-I have seen Rock Island and Rossi for less than $150 to the Henry that is selling for nearly $400. Any good feedback and I only want a single shot and want to be able to have a sling for it. Also understand that Turkey Hunting in Eastern Oregon is covering country.
I just picked up a Stevens 16G from the 1930's in very good condition for 130$. Look hard for a safe queen and get a full choke. Lets face it, single shot shotguns are deadly in the woods. When you have to make that one shot count, you usually do.

Stevens 20 guage was my first firearm of any kind. Killed quail, dove, and turkey with it. I think older Stevens are awesome, and would purchase another if I were shopping for a single shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back