Single Shot for Kids

Flatlander14

I have been looking for a single shot rifle for my kids in .243. I've been scouring the gun racks and have yet to find a used one, I may end up pulling the trigger on something new. Any recommendations?

The reason for the singles shot comes from the need of an ambidextrous and safety. 3 kids; One is right handed and left eye dominant, one is left handed left eyed, and the youngest seems to be right handed right eyed.

Thanks in advance.

The used H&R/NEF are decent, I have several handi-rifles. I would probably go with the new-ish Henry single-shot first though, they have a youth-stocked version in .243. I have not fired one, but have handled a couple and they are very nice for the price point.

I’ve been on the eyeballing the Henry single shot but haven’t made the jump yet. If you go that route let us know what you think of it

I've had several NEF rifles and shotguns over the years. They are quality and damned near bullet proof. My only thought in a single shot would be having a little extra recoil. Maybe put a pad on it, but I know my old 12 guage thumped the crap out of me. I wish I still had the .223, I'd unload it to you for a good price, especially to get kids shooting.

One thing to be aware of with a hammer is that young kids can have a bit of trouble pulling them back and especially letting them down on a loaded round. A extended hammer extension helps, but just something to be aware of. You didn't mention budget, but something like a Ruger #1 would be great.

Both my boys shot their first deer with a Handi-Rifle in 357 Mag. While it worked great, moving to a bolt action was a good move for us. Another thing I've found with young kids is that noise is often more of an issue than the physical recoil with something like a 243 or less. Ear plugs/muffs will be your friend. If this state didn't have the 243" requirement, both of mine would have started with 223 Rem for deer. With the right twist and bullets, I'd have no worry.

PS- Good job on following the eye dominance!!

Last edited:
I have been looking for a single shot rifle for my kids in .243. I've been scouring the gun racks and have yet to find a used one, I may end up pulling the trigger on something new. Any recommendations?

The reason for the singles shot comes from the need of an ambidextrous and safety. 3 kids; One is right handed and left eye dominant, one is left handed left eyed, and the youngest seems to be right handed right eyed.

Thanks in advance.
CVA is good. Have them in seven different calibers. All shoot wonderful.

Thanks Guys, much appreciated feed back.
I know the single shot isn’t ideal, but it’s simple and ambidextrous.

My son and daughter both shot their first deer w a Ruger #1 in 270, at age 9 respectively. A bit much on the caliber but they had been practicing for years w other smaller calibers so no worries.
As stated above, don’t forget about a .223, w the right bullet it’s a deer killer, my grandson at age 6 and again this year at age 7 has taken many deer n pigs w it.

Used to think my future kids would get a TC encore or contender frame early in life and then we’d buy barrels as needed. But have changed my mind recently. Seems with a bit of used-rack shopping a guy can find better purpose built repeaters with better features (safeties being the biggest in my mind) for just a bit more or even with what another TC barrel costs. Not to mention in today’s more materialistic world how long would a kid get excited about shooting their single shot next to friends and relatives with bolts, levers, and pumps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back