PEAX Equipment

single rifle

std7mag

Europe got me to thinking, as she often does.
For those not hunting dangerous game, how many use a single shot rifle?
What make?
What caliber?
Are you comfortable hunting non dangerous game with a single shot where dangerous game may be present?

I myself was found holding a Dakota Model 10 the other year, and was trying to figure out how to get the $10,000 to buy it.
Caliber would probably be 280 AI.

I think with that firearm/cartridge combination i wouldn't feel undergunned should dangerous game show itself.

I had a TC Encore in 7mm mag, fairly accurate (the first couple shots) and very reliable. I’ve never hunted west of the MS so I can’t speak on dangerous game but I don’t think I would’ve felt under gunned. That one left just for the sore shoulder it was known to leave...

I have two Ruger 1B's, one in 6mm Remington and one in 30-06. I love the classic look of the Ruger #1's, how the feel, and how they carry. Plus both of them are very accurate. I hunt where there are a lot of black bears and you could bump into a grizzly bear, but the chances are not that high. I feel fine carrying one and I have never felt handicapped hunting game with one. The first shot is the most important anyway and with practice you can get pretty darn good getting multiple shots off if need be.

I have two Ruger 1B's, one in 6mm Remington and one in 30-06. I love the classic look of the Ruger #1's, how the feel, and how they carry. Plus both of them are very accurate. I hunt where there are a lot of black bears and you could bump into a grizzly bear, but the chances are not that high. I feel fine carrying one and I have never felt handicapped hunting game with one. The first shot is the most important anyway and with practice you can get pretty darn good getting multiple shots off if need be.
+1
BB.jpg

AA.jpg

Bought a Henry single-shot 30-30 awhile back. Fun rifle. I shot two big mulie does with it last fall. The farthest was 158 yards. It shoots well, but the trigger is pretty heavy. I put a 6x Super Chicken on it.

Actually the more i think about it the more i want to take back my caliber choice.

A Model 10 Dakota would deserve a special cartridge, like the 7mm Dakota.

Wish I hadn’t come across this thread now, I wasn’t sure that I knew what a Dakota Model 10 was so I had to google for confirmation. Those are beautiful guns, hard to argue against one of those if you had to carry a single shot!

std7mag,
I rarely use anything but a singleshot while hunting, unless it is birds (there doubles rule).

For me the "hunt of a life time" was one I spent a half century dreaming about before I could make it happen. That was the moose hunt from that other thread. The story is here http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7311, but the rifle was a substitute. I had bought a multishooter - an original 1895 Marlin made in 1898. I wanted a repeater in case one of Cheyenne's study subjects got lost and came my way. The rifle was completely bubba'ed so it needed new wood, new barrel, new magazine, sights, and some internals. Along the way, I had a set back, so at the last minute the Ballard .45-70 went, and it was a much more interesting rifle. Made in the 1880s and completely original. It acquired more patina and it got the job done. It has also killed many antelope. Of all my rifles, it is the most "been there, done that".

My first elk, antelope, mule deer, and all my Africritters were killed with a Shiloh Sharps. It was .45-90 the first time and .45-100 for everything else. I had bought a .577-450 Martini sporter to take to Africa but boy what a crazy gun those are. The barrel tappers almost 20 thousands from chamber to muzzle. I could not make it shoot in the time that I had. It stayed, the Sharps went. It all worked out. You can read about it here with some picts if you are interested. http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=753

Otherwise, I hunt with an original Highwall, also made in 1880s and owned by one family in Wisconsin until I got it. Barrel was rotted to it mutated a few times from .38-55 to .25-20, to .38-55 to .38-72. Antelope and deer and even squirrels have fallen to it. Maybe one day an elk. Super easy carrying rifle.

Squirrels usually get shot with my .22 low wall but I have had other singleshots, including a Martini 1215(I think) and a Ballard #3.

And then there are all the muzzleloaders, especially the flinter that has killed more deer than any gun I own but also squirrels and antelope and probably something I've forgotten. It is a.54 roundball gun, but I do have muzzleloaders of other calibers including 2 .45s that are long range rifles - one for targets one for critters.

That's the bulk of them I think. I have a few "in the works" too, of course, and dedicated target rifles.

I hope all of you get a chance to hunt with a single. They carry so easy, balance well, give up nothing in accuracy, and they have lots of history and are lots of fun to search for, fix, shoot, and everything else.

what a great post Brent, congratulations on your moose hunt--all your hunts actually

Harley, if you liked the Dakota, try to get your hands one on of Soroka's rifles from New Zealand. He makes a nice single shot.

Years ago we would run into fellows who had beautiful single shot rifles, most of them made by one of the fine British firms. My husband wanted one with one with a Farquarson falling block but it never happened.

std7mag, The closest I ever got to a single shot was my first gun when I was just a kid--- A used Stevens combo , it was a single shot rifle and a single shot shotgun (-;

Interesting thread std7mag

If you want to build that special rifle from scratch, with modern steel, absolute best machining tolerances and still have any one of several exceedingly sexy American or British actions. Steve Earle is your guy. These are best of the best. Build a Fraser or a big or medium Wesson for your favorite cartridge. http://www.steveearleproducts.com/index.htm. Or make it the best of the very best, a modern made true to the last detail Winchester 1885 from Montana Vintage Arms, in any configuration you want (including take down I think). https://montanavintagearms.com/winchester-parts/

Stock it with California-English walnut wood from Cecil Fredi https://www.gunstockblanks.com/

And you will have a walking-talking heirloom ready to go.

You ain't getting younger...
Brent

Ruger #1 .30-06. The most dangerous game I've hunted with it has been feral hogs.

Whatever style of action you decide on, practice reloading quickly, under stress if possible, so you're less likely to fumble when it matters. An ammo holder on the forend would be a good idea if you decide to go after dangerous game in the brush.

I use a Ruger #1 in 7mm STW (special buckmaster issue), and shoot Nosler 160gr AB's. I was able to take a couple of nice muleys with it so far but I am currently in the market for a bolt action rifle simply for the ease of re-chambering. I REALLY hate the lever (action handle) of the #1 as I have lost quite a few rounds in the field while over carrying over the shoulder. The action "lever" always caught on my pack or jacket which, in turn, opened up the action and with the barrel pointed up, shells constantly fell out.....uggh!
This problem leads to your question.
First off.......disclaimer....... I'am a michigan flatland deer hunter with only a small handful of western hunts under my belt, so take my opinion FWIW.
I have never been in dangerous game areas yet (wont rule out that possibility someday) but I wouldn't trust any pre-conceived notion on how an animal may/will react when a shot IS fired, whether its a grizzly, black bear, or lion.... period. For me, if theres any chance at a possible close encounter, theres one thing for sure...... I wont bet my life on a single round; no matter how good I THINK I am under that kind of pressure! Just my opinion, but its kinda like home defense..... rather have multiple rounds ready to go when I need them (and not use them) than 1 round hoping for the best. By then it may be too late.

Attachments

• IMG_2356[1].JPG
    IMG_2356[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I use a Ruger #1 in 7mm STW (special buckmaster issue), and shoot Nosler 160gr AB's. I was able to take a couple of nice muleys with it so far but I am currently in the market for a bolt action rifle simply for the ease of re-chambering. I REALLY hate the lever (action handle) of the #1 as I have lost quite a few rounds in the field while over carrying over the shoulder. The action "lever" always caught on my pack or jacket which, in turn, opened up the action and with the barrel pointed up, shells constantly fell out.....uggh!
This problem leads to your question.
First off.......disclaimer....... I'am a michigan flatland deer hunter with only a small handful of western hunts under my belt, so take my opinion FWIW.
I have never been in dangerous game areas yet (wont rule out that possibility someday) but I wouldn't trust any pre-conceived notion on how an animal may/will react when a shot IS fired, whether its a grizzly, black bear, or lion.... period. For me, if theres any chance at a possible close encounter, theres one thing for sure...... I wont bet my life on a single round; no matter how good I THINK I am under that kind of pressure! Just my opinion, but its kinda like home defense..... rather have multiple rounds ready to go when I need them (and not use them) than 1 round hoping for the best. By then it may be too late.View attachment 127736
Several good points.

I really like that stock. My #1 has a pretty nice piece of walnut but I like the laminate stock look.

Back