Caribou Gear

SilencerCo Supressors

- This brings me to my final observation, and most significant, hunting with a suppressor is a giant pain in the ass (not to mention the steps one goes through just to get one). The extra weight is noticeable, and it throws the balance of your rifle off. Perhaps the biggest pain, and one I did not account for until it was staring me in the face, was casing and transporting your rifle. Because of the POI shift, the suppressor had to stay on my rifle while hunting, I had to buy a special extra long case for vehicle storage, and never did figure out a decent way to carry it on an ATV (CO Law) or scabbard.

So I got to say, if I am being honest, I do not think the pro's out weight the con's for hunting type applications. A much simpler and user friendly solution would to be to carry a set of plugs around your neck while hunting. I am hunter first, and a target shooter second. If it was the other way around I could definitely consider continuing with a suppressor.

Unfortunately, I'll be going back to unsuppressed rifles for hunting. I did enjoy giving it try though.

If any one wants a SilencerCo Harvester I can make you a good deal, sent to you dealer of course, compliant with all your states laws.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

I own a Harvester and while it does shift POI with the can installed, it's a consistent shift. I see why you may have some difficulty on ATV, but I'm surprised that your POI shift is so inconsistent that you can't remove the silencer for vehicle travel. The way I travel is with the rifle (24" barrel) in a soft case inside a Storm iM3300. The silencer goes in a pocket of the soft case with its paperwork. When I arrive at the destination for overnight stays or whatever, the hard case is left behind and only the soft case goes back in the vehicle for travel to my hunting area. When I'm ready to hunt, I install the silencer and even if I return to the vehicle to check another spot or something, the silencer stays on the rifle in the soft case without being fully closed. It fits across the floorboard of an F150/Silverado type of truck.

I wonder if your light barrel profiles contributed to inconsistent POI shift. I have a Tikka T3 cut and threaded 5/8x24 in .308 that shoots just great, but tried to have another Tikka in 7mm-08 modified the same and it was terribly inaccurate. I gave up on it in frustration. I seem to have better luck with silencers and heavier barrel profiles. I have a Tikka CTR and CA Ridgeline that are fantastic suppressor hosts.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back