Should ya, Would ya, Could ya - Bear Den

Reminds me of an encounter I had many springs ago while I was out looking for elk sheds. I was hiking around with my dog when I spotted this sow out feeding in a big open south facing bowl. I sat down about 100 yards away and watched her for awhile. Eventually she spotted my dog and ran off behind a small little rocky protrusion and disappeared. I guessed that there might be a cave or den in the rock so I went down to investigate. Sure enough she was tucked into a small cave that she had filled with dried grass. Definitely not the smartest thing I have ever done, but I have spent a lot of time around bears and she was acting very submissive so I thought I could get away with being there for a minute or two.

View attachment 251235

View attachment 251236

View attachment 251237

View attachment 251238
She looks like she’s deciding if to bite you, or not.

I think you should have crawled in for a few pics.
We camped about 500 yards from it for a week and never saw anybody come or go. There were a lot of black bears in the area climbing trees and eating pine nuts but the only g bear we saw was through the BTX several miles away across a major drainage

Can’t say I’ve ever felt bad about killing a coyote.
I know I have the advantage as an armed hunter. Shooting at a great distance or at a sleeping critter does not give them much play for the game as sound/smell/sight are all but negated. Just brings in mixed feelings for some of us as weigh the nuances of hunting vs killing.

I put 4 trail cameras around the den in April and knew then it was unlikely the bear was in there as there wasn’t any vent in the snow coming through. I grabbed the cameras a week ago and the only thing I got was a squirrel. Had I crossed paths with that big bear in or around that den, sleeping or awake, I’m pretty sure I would have killed him and not felt a damn bit bad about it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back