Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Should rifle elk be limited?

As a non res that has only hunted limited hunts there anyway I say “yea, probably”

I don’t think it’s too far off from becoming a reality.

As a lifetime CO resident I've always hunted limited to avoid the crowds so my initial answer is yes, but the glaring issue is the revenue that would be lost unless the prices are increased.

That being said I do like being able to hunt any unit designated OTC. If gone to caps for residents do you see that changing?

I just had an interesting conversation with an outfitter friend about this. I mentioned that I was hoping that NR OTC would be limited.

She was very upset at the idea, and just could not understand why the state would want to “punish” NR’s, and that residents are “spoiled and get everything” from CPW, and that it is already “unfair” that NR’s only get some of the tags, and that residents “don’t contribute anything to the local community” in comparison to NR’s.

Really strange conversation. I can only assume that as a multi-generational rancher and outfitter, who’s never had to set foot on BLM, her point of view in regards to hunting in extremely sheltered.
A lifetime of catering to wealthy NR hunters maybe?

Anyway, it made me wonder how much influence this “outfitter-centric” view will influence CPW…or if indeed this is even a common understanding of the topic amongst outfitters.

I just had an interesting conversation with an outfitter friend about this. I mentioned that I was hoping that NR OTC would be limited.

She was very upset at the idea, and just could not understand why the state would want to “punish” NR’s, and that residents are “spoiled and get everything” from CPW, and that it is already “unfair” that NR’s only get some of the tags, and that residents “don’t contribute anything to the local community” in comparison to NR’s.

Really strange conversation. I can only assume that as a multi-generational rancher and outfitter, who’s never had to set foot on BLM, her point of view in regards to hunting in extremely sheltered.

Anyway, it made me wonder how much influence this “outfitter-centric” view will influence CPW…or if indeed this is even a common understanding of the topic amongst outfitters.
I don't even know where to start with that.

I’d say yes. I just finished a second season deer hunt and saw over 1500 elk in a week. Every single legal bull I seen died. With that said, 95% of the vehicles in the parking lot were Colorado residents.

You just watch and see what bullshit CPW “scientific” herd management decisions are made when these landowners flex on legislators. One day Colorado too could issue free elk tags directly to small ranches to dispense with as they please. 160 acres be damned. It happens here in NM and can happen there as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back