Should I Restring my Crossbow?

RugerHawg413

I have had my crossbow since the summer of 2019, and I have shot it probably 50-60 times at the most. And I don't see any real fraying yet on the strings. Do you think that I should have it restrung? This is my first crossbow so I do not have a ton of experience with restringing. Any and all info is appreciated, thank you!

Go ahead and do it if it you're going to have it nagging in the back of your mind, it shouldn't be very expensive. I don't think I would though. I don't have much experience with crossbows, but I'm on like year 4 with the string on my compound, and I can guarantee it's seen at the very least least 3-5000 shots. It still passes the eye test, but I'll go ahead and replace it this year before I really start shooting a lot when the weather warms up. I think the recommendation for compounds is somewhere around every 3 years, depending on how well you take care of it, how much you shoot etc...

Not sure about the recommendations for crossbows, they may be less? Two years perhaps? Maybe I'm wrong and it is every year? I'm sure someone here with more crossbow specific knowledge will chime in.

I would take it into an archery shop that does it for a living and ask them. When it comes to safety, I leave it to the professionals. With crossbows it depends on the material used to make the string, quality, age and use. But I would not consider relying with online advice in this situation. I would go to an archery shop and let them look at it.

I have had my crossbow since the summer of 2019, and I have shot it probably 50-60 times at the most. And I don't see any real fraying yet on the strings. Do you think that I should have it restrung? This is my first crossbow so I do not have a ton of experience with restringing. Any and all info is appreciated, thank you!
What brand and model is it?

What did you do as far as maintenance on it? Did you wax the string regularly? Was it ever dry fired? Check with a local archery shop that deals in crossbows (preferably your brand), and let them inspect it. It is also a good idea to inspect the limbs to look for signs of stress, especially where the pulleys are anchored to the limbs. When it is cocked, look for tiny cracks.

What did you do as far as maintenance on it? Did you wax the string regularly? Was it ever dry fired? Check with a local archery shop that deals in crossbows (preferably your brand), and let them inspect it. It is also a good idea to inspect the limbs to look for signs of stress, especially where the pulleys are anchored to the limbs. When it is cocked, look for tiny cracks.
Yeah, you are probably right. But, I will say that it has never been dry fired and I do wax the string quite often. Thanks for the info!

Interesting bit of information I found out yesterday at the bow shop when I was getting my peep adjusted. He said to not wax the string. He said if he is telling a customer to wax their string it is usually time to buy a new string. There is enough wax in the string to last a very long time, and the more wax you add the more variable your bow because it the wax holds moisture in the string, which will make the bow shoot differently at different temperatures.

Interesting bit of information I found out yesterday at the bow shop when I was getting my peep adjusted. He said to not wax the string. He said if he is telling a customer to wax their string it is usually time to buy a new string. There is enough wax in the string to last a very long time, and the more wax you add the more variable your bow because it the wax holds moisture in the string, which will make the bow shoot differently at different temperatures.
That is interesting, never heard that before. Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a good way to sell more strings. If there's already wax in the string then there's already moisture?🤷‍♂️

Sounds like a good way to sell more strings. If there's already wax in the string then there's already moisture?🤷‍♂️
Ya, he said that they will last 3 years or more with the wax that comes on them. He also said that once it works into the string it gets less variable but doesn’t need much. This was all news to me, but said that it is one of those common myths. More wax attracts more dirt and holds more moisture in.

I don't doubt you, but I was told the reason to wax the string was to PREVENT moisture from getting into the string. Also, the string is made up of numerous threads wound together, and each time you @#)(# the crossbow these smaller threads rub together, which creates friction and wear. If you wax the string it greatly reduces this friction and prevents premature wear of the string.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I would agree with that statement. Wax is just a lubricant for the fibers of the string. I've had strings that had 10k+ shots on them and I am certain that wouldn't have happened without additional waxing..

It is a Centerpoint Amped 415.
That's a pretty fast bow. It's also a foreign bow and string. It does have a relatively low shot count. However, it's hooking a powerful amount of energy next to your eyes. I would replace it with a quality custom string set.

Crossbow string dynamics are so different than vertical archery equipment because of the amount of force at work in them. I wouldn't trust that the longevity of your string would be much longer.

That's a pretty fast bow. It's also a foreign bow and string. It does have a relatively low shot count. However, it's hooking a powerful amount of energy next to your eyes. I would replace it with a quality custom string set.

Crossbow string dynamics are so different than vertical archery equipment because of the amount of force at work in them. I wouldn't trust that the longevity of your string would be much longer.
Ok, thank you for the info! Will do!

I'm not sure that I would agree with that statement. Wax is just a lubricant for the fibers of the string. I've had strings that had 10k+ shots on them and I am certain that wouldn't have happened without additional waxing..
I’m not sure. I don’t know that much about it, just repeating the information I was told by a professional tech. It may have very little difference to a normal person and he may be mostly referring to professional range shooters. I just know he told me to not wax my string anymore. And when I asked why, those were the explanations he gave me.

I’m not sure. I don’t know that much about it, just repeating the information I was told by a professional tech. It may have very little difference to a normal person and he may be mostly referring to professional range shooters. I just know he told me to not wax my string anymore. And when I asked why, those were the explanations he gave me.

I've never heard that either, curious what shop told you that, you can shoot me a PM if you don't want to post it on here...

If this is the information that you are getting it’s time to find a different bow shop

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back