Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

shot gun for bear

AZHUNTERR

would you use a shot gun on a bear?
GA# 976295388 $289.00 Mossberg 835 12 ga. This 3 1/2"chambered power house is "brand new". Oh yes, the barrell is 28" and ported good for turkey or grizzley. Refer to our stock number 33018 Eldon
Seller: MCELHINEY'S
FFL Dealer: Yes Area Code: 781

mmm I bought mine new a few years ago for only $210 new.
biggrin.gif

It doesnt come to mind that it would be a grizz gun.

I think there are a few guides in AK that use 12 guages' for "crowd control" with slugs and OO buckshot intermixed. I would think at close range they would be very effective. Resulting in a BIG hole in and a BIGGER hole out...

If you plan on shooting slugs I think you may have to get a barrel for it. The one that comes on the 835 is overbored for tighter patterns with turkey loads and slugs "could" get lodged in the barrel causing extream harm to yourself. The one I have is stamped right on the side of the barrel, NOT FOR USE WITH SLUGS". New slug barrles will run you about $200 or so...

Good luck

Azhunter
For a black bear a few people use them with no problems

for a griz they also use them but more for protection. you wont see many guides carrying a 28" barrel when guiding in griz country though. I heard they cut the barrels off to aroun 12-18 inchs.

if your thinking about using one for the black bear here in az it will work fine.

Delw

For a personal safety contingency plan I'd carry one in a heartbeat...nothing says "I love you" from short distances better than a 3-1/2" 12 gauge slug.
wink.gif
I would make other choices for hunting, though, like everybody else says. I wouldn't purposefully put myself within slug range of a grizzly bear.
biggrin.gif

The North American 'Heavyweight' Champion Black Bear (800#'s +) fell to a single shot 12 ga. w/ slugs. It was raiding a hog farm, just outside of New Bern, NC, every night and dining on a porker a day! Dolly Parton's cousin, and a friend, set the dogs on 'im and a couple miles later got it at bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back