PEAX Equipment

shortages

Hard to find Ammo here in Kentucky as well but it can be had. Went in to local Walmart today and they had 5 boxes of Winchester 6.5 Creedmor in the Winchester Deer Season XP and 2 boxes of 100 count Winchester.22 LR Ammo. I bought the .22 Ammo. Some local shops still have pretty good supplies though. I’m guessing things will get worse after January 20.

I have never understood why a man would walk into a store and buy more than 2 boxes of deer hunting bullets...
Not that I dont think a person shouldn't own more than 2. I just have never understood the need to buy more than 2 at a time.

I am a pretty serious hunter and I can count the number of times I have bought more than 2 boxes of high power shells at any given time.
Now .22 and .223 and pistol rounds I can see people buying multiple boxes. I just cant see if with deer rifle rounds. Seems so strange to hoard deer rifle bullets.
It is rare for me to buy more than two boxes of hunting rifle rounds at any time, but it does happen. Had a recent score with a Wal-Mart selling PowerShok and Fusions at pre-plandemic pricing. I bought them out - eight boxes.

About a year ago, two Wal-Marts had mis-marked some of their rifle ammo (.243 and .308) down from $17.58 to $12.58. (Maybe someone had sloppy handwriting). I cleaned them out too - about 12 boxes.

So the answer to your question is simply this: OPPORTUNITY

Even when normally buying in small amounts, I do this frequently. My best guess says I burn between 100 and 200 rounds of hunting rifle ammo annually. This is a small price to pay for hours of fun at the range and high accuracy in the field.

Saving money is hardly "blowing your skirt up". Nor is being well-stocked now.
Hoarding stuff you really don't need that's mispriced or on sale just deprives someone else who may need the stuff from taking advantage of a good deal. It's why I generally avoid the Black Friday or Boxing Day crowds. A lot of people buying crap they don't need just to satisfy their ego. Saving money by spending it. People who piss their savings away at gambling tables have more sense ... and they don't have any sense at all.

Hoarding stuff you really don't need that's mispriced or on sale just deprives someone else who may need the stuff from taking advantage of a good deal. It's why I generally avoid the Black Friday or Boxing Day crowds. A lot of people buying crap they don't need just to satisfy their ego. Saving money by spending it. People who piss their savings away at gambling tables have more sense ... and they don't have any sense at all.
SMFH. mtmuley

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned shooting 100-200 rifle rounds annually. This is not "hoarding stuff I really don't need". I do need it; it gets used. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't.

You write as if I shoved a nun and crippled vet into the gutter to grab the ammo. It had been there for some time, and then (not so much today), there was no reason to think that it wouldn't be immediately restocked. There is no reason to believe that anybody who wanted the same ammo was "deprived" because I acted on a good deal.

What do you suggest - waiting for a bad deal before buying?

I frequently see videos of people talking about buying ammo (especially now). A common theme is to "buy a box every paycheck". Screw that - it leaves you at the mercy of the price fluctuations. Better to set aside the money every paycheck, then make a big purchase when the price dips. That's not "hoarding" or "buying what you don't need". It's being smart and frugal.

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned shooting 100-200 rifle rounds annually. This is not "hoarding stuff I really don't need". I do need it; it gets used. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't.

You write as if I shoved a nun and crippled vet into the gutter to grab the ammo. It had been there for some time, and then (not so much today), there was no reason to think that it wouldn't be immediately restocked. There is no reason to believe that anybody who wanted the same ammo was "deprived" because I acted on a good deal.

What do you suggest - waiting for a bad deal before buying?

I frequently see videos of people talking about buying ammo (especially now). A common theme is to "buy a box every paycheck". Screw that - it leaves you at the mercy of the price fluctuations. Better to set aside the money every paycheck, then make a big purchase when the price dips. That's not "hoarding" or "buying what you don't need". It's being smart and frugal.
You're right, I missed the part about the volume of your shooting. I shoot several thousand rounds annually so I can relate. Somewhat. I place my order in the spring when the rest of the club orders. I let the club executive do the shopping (not a choice). This past year I wound up with extra ammo thanks to COVID closure of the trap range through much of the summer. And competitive shoots stopped altogether. Often I run short during the winter and have to pick up a flat or two from local retailers.

My thoughts were pointed more towards hoarding in general and not so much you personally. Sorry. Nothing disgusted me more than the stupid toilet paper hoarding at the beginning of the pandemic. Anyone who needed 150 rolls of toilet paper to get through a fourteen day quarantine had bigger problems than COVID-19! I went almost two months without buying a single roll. Easy enough. My shower is 2.5 feet from the john. I always had that option. The free napkins in the McDonalds drive-thru bag also never went to waste. Showering down was maybe not so convenient for the ladies ... so I left my share of TP supplies on the store shelves for them. It's about being a good neighbour.

You're right, I missed the part about the volume of your shooting. I shoot several thousand rounds annually so I can relate. Somewhat. I place my order in the spring when the rest of the club orders. I let the club executive do the shopping (not a choice). This past year I wound up with extra ammo thanks to COVID closure of the trap range through much of the summer. And competitive shoots stopped altogether. Often I run short during the winter and have to pick up a flat or two from local retailers.

My thoughts were pointed more towards hoarding in general and not so much you personally. Sorry. Nothing disgusted me more than the stupid toilet paper hoarding at the beginning of the pandemic. Anyone who needed 150 rolls of toilet paper to get through a fourteen day quarantine had bigger problems than COVID-19! I went almost two months without buying a single roll. Easy enough. My shower is 2.5 feet from the john. I always had that option. The free napkins in the McDonalds drive-thru bag also never went to waste. Showering down was maybe not so convenient for the ladies ... so I left my share of TP supplies on the store shelves for them. It's about being a good neighbour.
No problem.

With a family, TP is like ammo. We have plenty on hand, so we didn't buy during the panic either. I try to establish a "hold level" for every type of ammo I shoot. If it dips low, I buy more. I've bought very little ammo during the pandemic, mainly because I simply didn't have to. The irony here is, I had enough ammo to keep shooting, but then they closed down our range for a while.

This year I did feel the need to increase my holding of .308 because my daughter graduated from .243 to .308. Since my son has lost interest in hunting, I might never need to buy .243 again. When he was learning to shoot it, I bought him Hornady light recoil loads, by the case. When he stopped, we had only one box left, so I felt I timed that rather well.

A good counterexample to this (for me, anyway) is .22LR. Right after the 2013 Obama Ammo Shortage, I bought a .22LR rifle. About a year later, bought the wife a .22LR pistol. Her pistol is finicky, so I learned to only buy CCI Mini-Mags for it. (The rifle is a single shot so it uses very little ammo).

I kept building up Mini-Mags every time I saw them, finally ending with a 3,000-round case which I got for $150 (good price at the time). When I took inventory back in 2017 I said "I think I have enough .22 for a decade".

Haven't bought a single round of .22LR since, regardless of price.

I have never understood why a man would walk into a store and buy more than 2 boxes of deer hunting bullets...
Not that I dont think a person shouldn't own more than 2. I just have never understood the need to buy more than 2 at a time.

I am a pretty serious hunter and I can count the number of times I have bought more than 2 boxes of high power shells at any given time.
Now .22 and .223 and pistol rounds I can see people buying multiple boxes. I just cant see if with deer rifle rounds. Seems so strange to hoard deer rifle bullets.
Back before all this crap started, I saw a great deal on 243 CoreLokt at Wallyworld. Bought it all and am glad I did, too.

Dang, so the poop tip actually wasn't the only one you had to share after all, now was it?

Anyone else find it concerning that @old man hasn't been on the forum since 10/24, when he stated that he'd be heading to Wyoming for a hunt 10/27?

I'm really not even joking, if you ever read his other hunt reports it seems that he's cheated death the last several trips.

Hopefully he's just forgotten to check back in here...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back