Short to moderate range multi purpose cartridge for 7mmRM

undercover

My Ruger 7mm has loved every factory load I’ve put through it for accuracy. From ballistic silver tips to rem core lokt to now Berger vlds. All 140 grain. Silver tips on white tails are dead before they fall over, meat is trashed and guts are liquified. The Berger vlds are accurate but not overly deadly with zero exit holes and the blood trails are weak at best especially the first 30 yards or so. I wonder if these vlds are inadequate for shorter range hunting. I used these based on a recommendation form a friend. I actually like the core lokts best as muzzle lift is very minimal where I can keep the animal in scope as it runs however they just don’t seem to give the animal the big “THUMP” at impact. My current farm I hunt for distance is 60 yds to nothing longer than 275 yds. I’m looking For a round with minimal mess, pass through, and the Thump. I know shot placement is key. I’m not a sniper but better than average marksman. I’ve searched the web and found threads about 7mm and what bullet but most replies are “I don’t shoot that caliber but my buddy does and has killed elk and deer at 585yds” or I shoot 7mm for 30 years but only hunt Africa for plains game” The group on this forum seems to be more than helpful, most are well rounded in multiple types of game, and appears that some like me have a single use rifle for do it all hunting. Wyoming next year for a cow elk is also part of bullet selection and consideration. Is there a factory multi use load that exists for me based on the above information? I do have a couple Quebec Labrador caribou harvested with this rifle using the ballistic silver tips along with countless white tails

Blessings and thanks in advance

Brian

The base line, "no nonsense 101" is the good ol Nosler Partition.

Try that first .

It may be boringly effective though.
Great. Thanks a ton. Would you stay with 140’s or bump up to the 160’s or buy both and see if I can narrow the accuracy? I’m almost certain the twist is 1/9.5

I would look at the Nosler e-tips as well. I haven’t had much experience with them just started using this year shot a buck at about 150 yards with a 28 Nosler so very similar to your 7mag. But it knocked him down on a run got full pass through and no meat damage. I did the gut less method so not sure what it did to insides but it dropped him so that’s all I cared about and didn’t damage any meat. Just another option to try

I’ve got a long, long list of dead critters that fell to 168 gr vlds in the 7magnum platforms... never needed a blood trail because they were dead on the ground where they were standing. 140’s vlds are great in a 7-08 but too fast in a 7 rm, especially at close range for that type of bullet construction.

I wouldn’t be shooting a 140 bullet out of any .284 magnum unless I was going solid copper. 160-170 weight class is ballistically superior in the 7rm.

The Berger VLD were not designed to produce exit wounds. They go in 1-3 inches, then come apart.
I've used the 140gr VLD-H to good effect out of my 7mm-08AI. For my Rem Mag i use the 168gr.

I've used, and still use the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in all my 7mm cartridges.
Good blend of weight, expansion, penetration. Yes, they will produce exit holes.
Lately i've been shooting the 150gr ABLR over a charge of RL26 in my 7mm Rem Mag. Same bullet but over Alliant PP4000 from my (2) 280 Rems.

If your wanting a monolithic bullet, then i'd go Cutting Edge Bullets. Goes in 1-3 inches then sheds 4-6 (depends which bullet line from them) petals while jagged edged base keeps cutting through.
Massive amounts of internal damage, and produces an exit hole.
I haven't tried, or been with anyone using the GMX, or Etip, so have no say on them.

I have been with people using Barnes. After some seriously long tracking on decent shots, i won't be using them.

Personally I have had great luck with the 150 ttsx Barnes in the .284 caliber billets out past 400 yards. I put one biller through an elks shoulder as well. If you are not reloading you might look at the federal premium Cooper bullets. My brothers have used these bullets on both elk and deer successfully.

I would buy both Nosler Accubonds and Partitions in 160gr and see which one your rifle likes the best. I am like you, and like a good pass-through shot with a blood trail. Either of these will do that and will be up to your elk hunt.

I was going to try some Hammers this year, but don't want to use powder/primers working up loads. If the panic buying stops, I will be trying them. Until then, I am sticking with Accubonds and Partitions.

My Ruger 7mm has loved every factory load I’ve put through it for accuracy. From ballistic silver tips to rem core lokt to now Berger vlds. All 140 grain. Silver tips on white tails are dead before they fall over, meat is trashed and guts are liquified. The Berger vlds are accurate but not overly deadly with zero exit holes and the blood trails are weak at best especially the first 30 yards or so. I wonder if these vlds are inadequate for shorter range hunting. I used these based on a recommendation form a friend. I actually like the core lokts best as muzzle lift is very minimal where I can keep the animal in scope as it runs however they just don’t seem to give the animal the big “THUMP” at impact. My current farm I hunt for distance is 60 yds to nothing longer than 275 yds. I’m looking For a round with minimal mess, pass through, and the Thump. I know shot placement is key. I’m not a sniper but better than average marksman. I’ve searched the web and found threads about 7mm and what bullet but most replies are “I don’t shoot that caliber but my buddy does and has killed elk and deer at 585yds” or I shoot 7mm for 30 years but only hunt Africa for plains game” The group on this forum seems to be more than helpful, most are well rounded in multiple types of game, and appears that some like me have a single use rifle for do it all hunting. Wyoming next year for a cow elk is also part of bullet selection and consideration. Is there a factory multi use load that exists for me based on the above information? I do have a couple Quebec Labrador caribou harvested with this rifle using the ballistic silver tips along with countless white tails

Brian
Try some Barnes 150g TTSX or the Federal Trophy Copper 150g (if you can find them). My Browning A Bolt II loves both.

My hunting bullet for my 7 mm RM is the 160 grain Accubond. I've used it on plains game in Africa, Caribou and Musk ox in Canada, and elk and antelope in Montana. I took it and would have used it on another Caribou and Moose hunt in Newfoundland last year, but I was too picky about antlers and didn't shoot anything.

Brian
I used to hunt with a Ruger M77 7 RM for deer befor I started bow hunting and ended up selling it. Sorry I did because they don’t make that rifle anymore. But my favorite round was the WS Ballistic Silver Tips. I hunted elk only once with it when I didn’t draw a archery tag befor selling it. I believe I used a 154 gr Accubond and killed a cow elk. It was about a 300 yard shot. She went only a few yards and piled up.

I recently bought a Hell’s Canyon 7 rem mag and have some Federal Bonded ammo in 160 on its way. Can’t wait to hunt with it after so many years. I have a cow tag for December in an awesome NM unit.

Love the responses and will definitely go after the noslers first, and will try a few different grains.....but there ain’t a single box of anything in Michigan. I appreciate all you. Thanks a bunch

I like the 160 grain in my 7mm STW. They buck the wind better than 140s and work well on most anything. I use the basic Sierra Gameking primarily. But you wont be wrong with the Partitions and AccuBonds. All are solid, dependable choices that I have used. There are some folks that will debate this, but you should use what you shoot well and have confidence in.

Good luck...

0-275 yds it'd be hard to beat the 7mm 120gr BT on any size deer. They're tougher than the 140's. If you want thump outta a 7mag load the old school Hornady 175gr RN bullet. I high shouldered a big doe @ 150yds and it appeared to just shove her back 3ft, and body slam her, but the THUMP is probably still echoing around the world. Brutal I tell ya...That old RN is like 1 1/2" long! lol

If .284" 140 grain Accubonds, Partitions, and TTSX were all that existed, I'd never miss any of the others, especially if all my hunting shots were inside of 500 yards.

275 yds? Good to hear someone that isn't shooting 500yds! When I had a 7mm Rem Mag, years ago. I shot a 160gr Speer Hot Core in it for everything. Scope was zeroed +3" at 100yds. Today that would be about MPBR with an 8" target and you'd be right there around 275-280 yds! In my opinion, a perfect set up. I tried lighter bullet's in the 7mm mag and got no use for them. Little fragile for magnums!

Back