Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Shooting At Shadows

shrapnel

The Carp are spawning in Canyon Ferry and the water is so dirty, you can’t see 3 inches into the water. We found a small bay where there were a bunch swirling and chasing each other. The only way to shoot them is to shoot at the shadow of what appears to be a Carp. There are some leafy green plants all over the bay and when you brush one with a bare leg, you find out quickly, the plants are stinging nettles.

No one ever said shooting Carp was easy…

5603F5B6-16DC-4103-9BF5-02727E8D7520.jpeg

💡 moment — it just hit me what to do with those elk that won’t show more than glimpses of antlers through the brush. 😉

Kidding aside, poison ivy is what lines all the banks along carp spots here so waders are way better to wear than shorts and Keens.

My buddy has a place with huge carp. There’s a huge, +20 foot tall, boulder on the edge of the lake. The first time I saw them I thought they were logs. There are a bunch of legitimate +3 foot fish.

He’s let a few guys in to bow hunt them. I’m not much of a fisherman and don’t bow hunt, but I really want to try to fly fish them sometime. Any particular flies?

Cool! can’t wait to get down there now that we live next to the lake. Gotta get the old bear bow out of storage and put some lights on the front of our pontoon to get after em again. Been a couple years. Ever eat one? Friend of mine of Asian background smoked some carp just like you would pork ribs, had like a plum glaze bbq type sauce for the final few minutes. Probably in the top 2 fish recipes I’ve ever eaten. Lost the recipe years ago. Wish I could find it.

Cool! can’t wait to get down there now that we live next to the lake. Gotta get the old bear bow out of storage and put some lights on the front of our pontoon to get after em again. Been a couple years. Ever eat one? Friend of mine of Asian background smoked some carp just like you would pork ribs, had like a plum glaze bbq type sauce for the final few minutes. Probably in the top 2 fish recipes I’ve ever eaten. Lost the recipe years ago. Wish I could find it.
Well if you ever find it, I'd love to give it a shot myself.

Dang it! Those things are way more fun on a fly rod than with an arrow in them!
I caught a giant carp on nymphs a few weeks ago that took me into my backing and all the way across the river. Realizing it was a huge carp and not the 26” brown of a lifetime was one of the most disappointing things I have ever experienced.

Last edited:
I caught a giant carp on nymphs a few weeks ago that took me into my backing and all the way across the river. Realizing it was a huge carp and not the 26” brown of a lifetime was one of the most disappointing things I have ever experienced.
I'm so sorry for your loss!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back