Shirley basin WY

tim81212

I read somewhere that antelope in this area took a beating from the winter weather. Anyone with personal knowledge? I should draw that unit this yr.

I talked to biologist in that area, unit 47 and she indicated the same. She also said bottom half of 48 suffered some. Another biologist mentioned areas south of Ferris mountains (unit 62) had a tougher winter than area to the north (unit 63). Good luck in the draw.

I drive through shirley basin regularly every year for work. Can't say I've seen fewer antelope this year than in years past, but that doesn't mean their numbers aren't down. If they are down, I'd say there are still plenty of them around, and your hunt should be good.

Drove through there just last weekend. Numbers looked down but saw some good bucks.
pm sent
Carl probably has a better perspective though than our one trip through.

Thanks guys, never been there and I am pretty stoked, even if numbers are down a little.
It is a great area with a ton of public land. You will have a blast! Hold off on shooting one until the 2nd or 3rd day if you can.

I worked at the mines at Shirley basin many years ago and it has great bucks. I hunted the area for a few years and always could find a good buck and some cool freaks. good luck.

100% success for me on my tags but hunting antelope on F.E. Warren AFB and not much competition because of the restrictions to get on base to hunt and the limits.

Drew one of the 9 tags in the special random draw. Went in with a 1/4 point average for our group. Had planned on drawing 2nd or 3rd choice.
I hunted it in 2017 and it took me 4 points to draw

Reactions: LCH
Back