shipping costs

T Bone

Looking for some ballpark figures of shipping back to Reno from AK. After seeing Moosie's shipping bill, I'll donate the meat.

Thinking in a positive way, I'll have a frozen moose cape and rack.

Will airlines ship the rack without spittting the skull?

T Bone

Here is a brochure from Alaska Airlines...kinda spells it out for you. Reno is in Zone 10, Kotz is in Zone 3. Looks like a small box (see discription on brochure) would cost over $300, and they don't even ship larger boxes. You only get this quote if you fill out the paperwork to become a "known shipper" through AK Airlines. Otherwise, you have to ship via "Airport to Door" which is going to be considerably higher.

If it was me, I would pay to have your taxidermy work done in Alaska, by someone who consistently mounts these animals (as opposed to someone who does mostly mule deer and pronghorn), and have them ship the mount to you. You'll be able to keep the skull plate intact (for measuring if you choose) and then have a shoulder mount made with detachable antlers. Even though you'll spend a few more dollars for shipping, I think it would be more cost effective. The moose will ship to you in two boxes, the antlers...which will be split and in a box half the size of the one you would take home with you (unless you split them and didn't care about the measuring), and then you would drop the majority of the shipping in on the shoulder mount. I have a friend who can tell me what it would cost to ship a moose shoulder mount (from Fairbanks) to somewhere in the west. Just to give you an idea, my goat was approximately $220 (including the hardware to build the crate)...so I would expect your shipping to run $400 - $500 for both the antlers and the mount...at the minimum $100 more than bringing them back with you on the plane...although I'd guess it would be a bit more.

If you get the known shipping contract through AK Airlines, get started on it now. The entire process takes roughly 6-9 months to complete.

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/cargo/images/AntlerExpress_071503.pdf

T-Bone,
I'm flying Frontier Airlines to Anchorage, and they'll let me bring back my antlers as excess baggage. So, for $50, I'll get my antlers home. I'm leaving my capes in Anchorage at Alpha Fur Dressers. They will come to the airport and pick up your hides. They have reasonable tanning prices. A tanned hide is much lighter, and can be shipped much cheaper than a salted one.

Make sure you get a good taxidermist. Just because a guy mounts a moose everyday, doesn't mean he's good at it. I know guys that have been doing taxiermy for 30 years, and still can't do a decent deer head. Any GOOD taxidermist will do a good job on your moose.

I shipped a couple of elk heads this year, one form NM to TX, and the other to CA, and they ran between $500 and $600 to ship. I'm guessing shipping from AK will be quite a bit more.

Just some things to think about.

T-Bone,
I'm flying Frontier Airlines to Anchorage, and they'll let me bring back my antlers as excess baggage. So, for $50, I'll get my antlers home. I'm leaving my capes in Anchorage at Alpha Fur Dressers. They will come to the airport and pick up your hides. They have reasonable tanning prices. A tanned hide is much lighter, and can be shipped much cheaper than a salted one.

Make sure you get a good taxidermist. Just because a guy mounts a moose everyday, doesn't mean he's good at it. I know guys that have been doing taxiermy for 30 years, and still can't do a decent deer head. Any GOOD taxidermist will do a good job on your moose.

I shipped a couple of elk heads this year, one form NM to TX, and the other to CA, and they ran between $500 and $600 to ship. I'm guessing shipping from AK will be quite a bit more.

Just some things to think about.

My taxidermist shipped the head mount of my 63.5 (I never forget to mention the .5) inch moose from Alaska to Portland Oregon. The cost was around $500, including building a pretty sturdy crate that it was shipped in.

dave

Dan...Getting antlers home for $50 is REAL cheap...

When I was there in '99 it would have cost me $300 to get the antlers shipped home to NY as excess baggage.. They have a special HIGH rate for antlers on most airlines...Parcel post, at $25 per split package( actually 2 sets of split antlers nested together) was much cheaper...Alaska Air was going to charge us $100 per split set DESPITE them fact that two sets were nested together and only took up about as much space as one set...

$50 and wrapped them up and brought them as extra Luggage.... But I split Mine.. they were only 58" though... (57 3/4" Actually
)

The ONLY reason not to split them is For Scoring and the little stuff I shoot I don't need to score.

183_G.sized.jpg

T Bone

If you're looking for an outstanding taxidermist, I can help you out. Some of these guys on the forum can attest to the taxidermy work I have had done. Artist is a much better title for him. If you would like, I can make a copy of some of his tapes he makes me every year for Christmas. There is one particular moose mount he did that is simply stunning. You've probably seen some of the pics I have posted of the goat and sheep he did for me.

This taxidermist also uses Alpha Furs for his tannery work. Alpha Furs does excellent work and I would recommend them to anyone.

Expect one year turn around if you're interested in my contact.

$50 is an awesome deal. I keep hearing about Frontier. I didn't realize they flew into the lower 48.

Ovis,

I remember the photos of the mounts you had done. They look great, even though I am no experienced judge of taxidermy.

Lets think positive and say I poke a 60" bull....Whats your guy charge for a shoulder mount?

Looks like $500 for shipping a mount is normal...ouch.....

If I get a big guy I may need to just get the cape tanned and then mount here at a later date when the $ becomes available.

T Bone

The last price guide I have from him quotes $1000 (which is a great deal considering my extended shoulder mount goat on a habitat pedestal was that much...with a friendship discount) for a shoulder mount, but then states $125 for detachable antlers (well worth it and highly recommended). I want to say he told me last season he was upping his moose mounts to $1200 though. I just tried to call him and he wasn't home. I'll try him again later. He requires 30% down of the total "mount" cost, so lets say $1325 is the total cost. I'm betting you could come up with the $400 to get the mount started and then save up over the following 12 months to get the remaining balance and shipping paid off. You're talking under $120 a month. I promise you you'll never find a better taxidermist for a guy who sticks to his turn around time and will provide you with a beautiful trophy.

I'm also looking at a brochure Gunner gave me. It is from Schiermeier Taxidermy in Twin Falls. I couldn't get a great look at Gunner's elk as it was dark, but from what I could see the guy does nice work. Maybe Gunner could elaborate. Anyhow, his charge is $1100. I don't see a quote for detachable antlers.

Tbone, My thinking is, If you're going to Get Detachable Antlers, Pisson Leaving your stuffin AK. If I understand this right you're talking 1k for the Mount, then $500 to ship the Sucker back ?!?

I'm using "GUTPILE" from this board and He does Awsome work. I'm guessing under 1k and You can Split the horn and Bring um BAck for $50 saving $450.

THE ONLY reason not to Split the Rack is if you need to SCORE it. We can Actually measure it (Rough) in the Field if we're so lucky to get one and if it's not goin gto the Book, The n Split the Rack and mount it here...... I have a Contact to Get the Hides Snet off an Taken Care of too for a Reasonable price. Lemme make a few Calls next week and I'll let ya know.

PS, Brokfut from this site is talking about hooking up with his Uncle or Brother or Something that Ships And can Come up with a deal to save money too.... I'll put that on my to do list !!

The elk I shipped were big bulls, and neither had detachable antlers. So these were big crates.

I'm flying Frontier Airlines to Anchorage, and Frontier Flying Inc to Aniak, which is only in AK. So there's two different ones. Of course the bull I kill will probably be so freakin' big I'll have to rent a private plane just to get the antlers back. LOL.

You'll never regret spending a little more money for good taxidermy.

There is an idea...sacrifice money for quality taxidermy. :rolleyes:

I agree with what Dan said...couple extra bucks for quality work is well worth the expense.

Here is a low res pic I did for Rich, the taxidermist I use...lots and lots of detail in the eyes, nose, and mouth. Sometimes a pic just doesn't do enough justice.

RichRamcopy.jpg

[ 03-27-2004, 04:58: Message edited by: Ovis ]

Ovis.. You've been spending too much time with Gunner in the Sportsmans issues and pulling stuff out of Content. I said Don't WASTE your Money, not don't use a GOOD taxidermist.

You've seen my House, Besides the ONE goose mount that one gy I had do goofed up on, What did you think of the Quality of the other stuff ?!?! You can be honest. Hell, I have over $12,000 worth of mounts in the livingroom, I hope some were worth the money. And they weren't $1,500+ for a moose mount.

Ohhhh and my Idaho Moose mount, I did it myself, They are an Easy animal to do

I'm not dissing your Friend in AK, I'm just saying why Pay 1k+ for a mount and 500 to ship it when you can Do it for alot less with Equal quality. There is a few taxidermist that Win State taxidermy championships that don't charge that much for a moose mount. Call me bitter but most AK taxidermists know that We pay Big bucks to shoot spomething then know We'll pay to get it out of AK. We're bent over a Stump.

I agree 100% you should pay for a good mount. But some of us don't have your Money Ovis

Uh...let me see.

To look at your mounts from the floor and say they look fine is one thing. For me to get close up one them and see the detail is another. Therefore, I honestly can't say, nor would I comment on anything besides the big game mounts...I don't do birds (don't know much about them).

Some of the shoulder mounts you had looked fine, in fact I'd really like to look closer at your last big elk.

I think the chamois or tahr (can't remember which one) 1/2 lifesize is too busy. I think there is too much habitat going on.

I think the mounts you have displayed in the garage are horrific, especially the 3 horned "thing" :D

All I am saying is why not spend an extra couple hundred dollars on something you will be proud to display for years and years and years. Some taxidermists puddy on some eyes, stitch the cape over and spackle on some paint, others go into much more detail.

I know I am partial to this guy, otherwise my feelings about his work wouldn't be as strong as they are. Just another option for T-Bone to look into.

How much is your buddy on the board going to charge for a moose shoulder mount and can I see some of his work?

Ovis, You're more then welmcoe to Examine all my Mounts at close range. I've had things mounted by 6 different people and Some are just OK, so I moved on, and Some were AWSOME but charged 2-3 Hundred more then others. Like you stated my mounts are high up and they can be SO-SO and still look good from th floor so Why pay Tons more so I move on.

I did Find a Guy that I like (Preston Evans) and Love his work (Even at close range
) So I've switched to him and he'll be who I use from now on.

I'm not dicrediting your Guy one bit Ovis, For the Ease of mind, Convienience and Good work your guy does I'm sure thats why He charges what he does is He's a Wanted man by guys with game. He might just be "THE MAN" in AK too, And I sure like your Mount that you got back.

I think T-bone should keep that in mind and He can Use him. I'm jsut stating what I am Going to do personally and Why I do what I do.

What I am Stating is I have found a Guy like you, He does Good showroom work, He's 1 mile from my house, He gets stuff back to me soon and he Charges me Fairly. His Normal Prices are Higher on the Brochures but him and Me worked out a Deal and I don't pay as much.

I will tell you how Much he charges for a 'Bou and Moose mount. I'm seeing him today for some stuff.

Blah Blah Blah

I think we scared T-Bone off...good job Hot-Rod!

Well, as it turns out Rich did up his price last year to $1200, so I was right, BUT this year he is marking them up to $1400 though. This sport is getting expensive, thank goodness I get the discounted rate though :b

Moosie, the next time you want to get together for a date, I'll bring my flashlight along so I can get up close and personal with your critters, at least the ones you are most proud of the taxidermy work.

I think Tyson only loggs in when he's working... He works them crazy long hours 4 days a week. He'll be back on tomorrow or so

HELL, Bring your Climbing gear and We'll climbing gear up to get to them..
I'm up untill midnight, Come on over :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back