PEAX Equipment

Sharp-tailed Grouse

I requested a block management guide. Maybe I'll still get over there this next year.

I was fortunate enough to work for Fish and Game in Idaho with Sharpies. They paid me to live in a trailor in the hills and document Leks. I found 30-40 Leks and observed behavior. It was a blast. I fell in love with the little robots.

I'm glad some others dig them also.

You mean these robots. :D
2004_sharpies.sized.jpg

Actually, this picture was taken by a friend while we were looking for sage grouse leks. Not so much for the sage grouse, so these guys saved the morning.

Yes, they are amazing aren't they? Once I located a lek I could get in within 30 feet before light the next day and they didn't even care. Of course, I didn't even take a single picture.

Hemorrhage, I have trapped them inthe Rockland area, was that where you were at? I started out as a reservist traping pheasants, then Sharp-tails. I have been trapping and counting sage grouse the last five years. I haven' even went over to do anything with sharp-tails. Ron

I worked further south-east from you along the Utah border. I worked for Daryl Mientz out of Pocatello. I was a reservist for a few years with Bob Adamson and then Mike Demmick. It was a fun several years. I lived and got paid outdoors. But, schooling and work took me away. I stumbled upon a few sage grouse while on the way to the CRP but didn't focus on them. How are they doing? Are you in Poky?

well I have never had a problem getting into the sharpies or huns out around ririe resevoir and the sharpies and huns are doing great this year just the sage numbers are downonly seen about 20 this year out 3 times ussually see a lot more .
I also hunt down by Malad for sharp and pheasants .

Hemorrhage, I work out of region 4 I live in Buhl.

Idaho_Smiley, I hunted around the blacktail area last year and never seen a bird of ANY kind. Ron

I hunt a little further north of there and have allways seen a good number of birds , but thats ok guess less pressure with good publisity :D ;)
But I will say this Blacktail is not to far from where I am ussually hunting .

Back