Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sharp knives

Anyone missing chunks of hair off your arms from sharpening knives all night? :ROFLMAO:

I know I have 100 things that need to get done but my ADD told me get the jig out and make every knife in the house razor sharp.
It happens to the best of us... Sometimes I get to sharpening one of my knives, then I wind up doing every knife. I guess since I was doing 1, I might as well do them all!

Anyone missing chunks of hair off your arms from sharpening knives all night? :ROFLMAO:

I know I have 100 things that need to get done but my ADD told me get the jig out and make every knife in the house razor sharp.
I’m the same way. Have a honey-do list a mile long, “better get my knives out and make sure they sharp”. I’ll even grab knives I’ve already sharpened just to see if I can do any better a second time lol

There is probably a better way to tell if your knife is sharp other than shaving your arm, but I haven't found it.

Well, there are all the scars on my left hand. I guess that one way.

I'm using a Worksharp Precision Elite Adjustable for most of my knives and broadheads now but I also use a Worksharp Ken Onion Electric Sharpener for long and/or flexible blades. Both will get things dangerous sharp. The Electric sharpener will ruin a tip faster on a good hunting knife faster than I'm willing to admit but fillet and boning knife designs work very well.

I do like the paper test also. Significant difference in how effortlessly it cuts after you run your knife/broadhead over a leather strop.

I do like to have my knife fairly sharp cutting the tough hide around a deer/elk/moose's bung. After that there's a couple of reasons I don't want a razor sharp knife to finish up gutting, especially in fading light. First, when opening the animal up I'd rather not poke any more holes in the paunch than necessary (yuck!). Too easy to make a slip up with overly sharp blade. More importantly, when cutting out the diaphragm and cutting off the windpipe/trachea, my left hand is out of sight inside the animal guiding the knife blade in my right hand. Working blind with razor sharp knife is not the best plan, especially since it's not necessary.

Dammit, I skimmed this thread the other day thinking "what a bunch of weirdos," and yet here we are on Monday morning. 🤷‍♂️

arm.jpg

Back