Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Shank philly’s

Gellar

After butchering a few deer over the weekend I had a heart, a piece of whole back strap, and a shank still fresh. I cooked part of the loin yesterday with teriyaki stir fry and fried rice. today I was feeling lazy and was in the mood for good “bar food”. I salted and peppered the shank. Put in the crock pot and covered in Busch latte on low for about 4 hours. This left the meat tender, but not fall off the bone, shreddable tender so I sliced it off the bone and added onion and green pepper. I sautéed the whole mess in a cast iron skillet with butter, lots of butter! When the veggies were good and translucent I added Swiss cheese. It was piled on a toasted mini French roll and served with sweet potato fries.

crockpot with busch
1608173432679.jpeg
slice meat off bone, add onion, green pepper and butter. Sautée until translucent

1608173491851.jpeg
Melt cheese of choice and serve!

1608173539240.jpeg

Yea that looks great! Don’t forget the jalapeño and you’ll be set, even looks like it should be in a nice restaurant

Yea that looks great! Don’t forget the jalapeño and you’ll be set, even looks like it should be in a nice restaurant
No, no @jryoung ’s food looks like it should be in a fancy restaurant. Mine look fit for a dead end gravel road in northeast Iowa. But it tastes good! 😂
Jalapeño would be awesome in there. Since I was lazy I only used ingredients we already had in the freezer or pantry!

Last edited:
I’m not sure, I normally bread in a seasoned flour and fry in butter. But I want to change it up. maybe stuffed? Maybe I will use hank Shaw’s grilled heart recipe? How do you prepare it?
I’m always wanting to try new ways to cook Heart but then I remember how much I love it just breaded and fried with some onion and never try anything different

I’m not sure, I normally bread in a seasoned flour and fry in butter. But I want to change it up. maybe stuffed? Maybe I will use hank Shaw’s grilled heart recipe? How do you prepare it
The only way I have fixed it is to dust it with seasoned flour and pan fry it with butter and onions. Which is very good just looking for other recipes.

I’m not sure, I normally bread in a seasoned flour and fry in butter. But I want to change it up. maybe stuffed? Maybe I will use hank Shaw’s grilled heart recipe? How do you prepare it?
A bit different recipe than you mentioned but Hank’s recipe for Peruvian heart Skewers is phenomenal. Made it with an elk heart someone gifted me. Definitely worth trying!!!

A bit different recipe than you mentioned but Hank’s recipe for Peruvian heart Skewers is phenomenal. Made it with an elk heart someone gifted me. Definitely worth trying!!!
I have a few hearts frozen too and This looks like a winner! Were you able to get the aji paste or did you use chipotles in adobo? We don’t have what most would consider a good grocery store close by so I will have to use chipotle’s in adobo.

I have a few hearts frozen too and This looks like a winner! Were you able to get the aji paste or did you use chipotles in adobo? We don’t have what most would consider a good grocery store close by so I will have to use chipotle’s in adobo.
The recipe in Buck, Buck, Moose is slightly different than what has been updated in his website. I ended up using 2 chipotles in adobo(not two cans) as I was trying to keep the heat a bit lower for my wife. I would do 3 next time. My wife isn’t a huge fan of how heart tastes but loves the texture. After the first bite she told me that I’ll be making this one again.

Made the shank phillys again with a few twists. This time I used 1 elk shank. It would probably be enough for 6 people. I smoked it for 2 hours on the traeger at 180 degrees. Then I put it in the crock pot with a 7up and water for 4.5 hours on high. Sliced the meat, green peppers, pablano peppers, and onions. Fried some bacon bits and put it all in the cast iron skillet until the veggies were done. Melted provolone and had it on a toasted hoagie bun.
1629392840367.jpeg

nice twist with the poblano's (y)(y)

any thoughts on throwing some hatch or pueblos into the mix?

Heart is our first meal “reward” from the game we take and is usually eaten still out in camp. I use a fillet knife to clean out the inner tough skin and valves, pound it out as flat as I can, then marinate over night in Italian dressing. Next day it’s grilled over open coals and sliced thin with sweet onions, sourdough bread, and a good beer! ....and now I’m hungry ☹️

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back