Caribou Gear

Semi-Urgent Question!

Mainer207

Hey guys,

I recently got a 12ga shotgun from my father that is chambered for 2-3/4” shells. Well, I was out turkey hunting and had mixed up ammo...

I fired on a jake with a 3” shell...twice.

I’m supposed to get back out hunting tomorrow and am wondering if the gun could be dangerously damaged from this STUPID mistake?!!

Before I get lectured, I realize how dumb this is and that I’m lucky it wasn’t worse.

I fired a couple 2-3/4” 4 shot turkey loads today and the gun fired ok. The action did jam once, but my immediate concern is if i need to put this gun up and buy a new 12ga due to possible damage that could cause the gun to explode...?

Thanks for any input

I doubt that 2 shells would do any serious damage but having a gunsmith check the gun over would probably be a wise move, if nothing else to put your mind at ease.

I did the same thing (3 inch shells in 2 3/4 inch chambers) a few years ago on a pheasant hunt in South Dakota while using my browning over/under. No ill effect and I shot a few boxes of 3 inch shells through the gun by the end of the trip. I’d say you’re good to go.

You are probably good, but if you want to rest assured good, take a little time and swing by a gunsmith for that extra piece of mind.....

Back