Semi DIY Alaskan black bear hunt?

JJackson

The wife has given me the green light on a black bear hunt in Alaska with a few stipulations? She has to go with, and wants to stay in a lodge. So my question is does any one have a lodge they can recommend that can rent a boat and possibly fishing equipment?

I know of two places like you are talking of one is Green rocks lodge just out side of Petersburg www.greenrockslodge.com and then Calder Mountain Lodge out on the North end of Prince of Wales island they hunt Kuiu Prince of wales and Kupernof islands. Caldermountainlodge.com When are you thinking of going? It did go to a draw but I believe there is still tags available for this year or pick up a left over tag on Feb 17 th after the draw results are posted. Hope this helps

I will not be going until spring of 2014 just wanted to start doing my research early in case I anything came up. Thanks for those two I'll look into them.

Fellas, just found out I will be in Anchorage for mtgs in May of next year. I really hate to miss a hunting opportunity especially since the airfair is paid for. Is there any chance a guy can get a bear liscense this late in the ballgame. I've never hunted outside of ND, so I'm looking for some AK knowledge as to what the possibilities of getting a tag is.
Thanks fellas. Scott

Fellas, just found out I will be in Anchorage for mtgs in May of next year. I really hate to miss a hunting opportunity especially since the airfair is paid for. Is there any chance a guy can get a bear liscense this late in the ballgame. I've never hunted outside of ND, so I'm looking for some AK knowledge as to what the possibilities of getting a tag is.
Thanks fellas. Scott

When to Apply:
The application period for Draw hunts is November 1 (8am AKST) – December 16, 2013 (5pm AKST).

Tags can be bought any time any where they're sold and online. Only a couple places in South East AK are on a draw.

Spring hunting can be tough off the highway system. Expect a long walk and if early May..
A lot of snow.

Good point Bambi, I'm thinking I'd better do an Alaska hunt more justice than just trying to "fit a hunt in". It will more than likely be a once or twice in a lifetime deal to head up there and hunt, and would hate to not give it everything I have. However, I am going to take the opportunity when I am up there to make as many contacts and get as much info as I can. Still can't wait for my first trip to Alaska!!

Scott

You'll love it. We're heading back for our second trip end of February. Want to experience winter, Northern Lights, and see the Iditarod. Made a friend of our tour guide from this past May and will be stopping in to visit with her as well as spend about a week in Wasilla and travel around on our own instead of with a group.

The wife has given me the green light on a black bear hunt in Alaska with a few stipulations? She has to go with, and wants to stay in a lodge. So my question is does any one have a lodge they can recommend that can rent a boat and possibly fishing equipment?

As mentioned the Calder Mountain Lodge is a great place. I and a friend done the spring black bear 2012 and had a great time, both got our bears and caught a few halibut and rock fish. This time of year is wet and cold so I hope the wife is a tuffy. The folks at Calder Mountain Lodge are fantastic people and the food is awesome, it's located on the northwest point of POW, very secluded. I'm jealous, wish I could go again.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Mike

As mentioned the Calder Mountain Lodge is a great place. I and a friend done the spring black bear 2012 and had a great time, both got our bears and caught a few halibut and rock fish. This time of year is wet and cold so I hope the wife is a tuffy. The folks at Calder Mountain Lodge are fantastic people and the food is awesome, it's located on the northwest point of POW, very secluded. I'm jealous, wish I could go again.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Mike

Be careful with these places. As the regulations in the draw supplement state, the one providing the boat rental must be a registered guide and not merely a transporter. Transporters are only allowed to provide room, board, & transportation in the field if I'm understanding the regulation correctly. Calder Mtn Lodge, as far as I know, is only a licensed transporter.

Your right rmyoung1, calder mountain is only a transporter. We stayed at the lodge, they provided meals and the boats, all fishing gear, and we had to pay for all the fuel and hunt on our own plus take care of all the bears by ourselves. They are not allowed to help with the hunting or even touch the bear.

So I feel like I should clear this up and let everyone here know what I found out. I actually spoke to a game warden in Petersburg on two separate occasions regarding this issue. This is what seems to be the rule:

If a transporter rents equipment to you, the equipment must originate from town or their lodge or commercial base and travel with you into the field. They cannot transport you to a camp or a cache of equipment (including boats) in the field and have you pay to rent that equipment. The items rented from a transporter must accompany you from town to field. A licensed guide, however, can drop you off at a backcountry camp and charge you to use his equipment in the field without any problems.

I hope that helps everyone. I found the whole thing to be a bit confusing since the regulation in the draw supplement is worded in such a way that it sounds like you can't rent anything from a transporter.

So I feel like I should clear this up and let everyone here know what I found out. I actually spoke to a game warden in Petersburg on two separate occasions regarding this issue. This is what seems to be the rule:

If a transporter rents equipment to you, the equipment must originate from town or their lodge or commercial base and travel with you into the field. They cannot transport you to a camp or a cache of equipment (including boats) in the field and have you pay to rent that equipment. The items rented from a transporter must accompany you from town to field. A licensed guide, however, can drop you off at a backcountry camp and charge you to use his equipment in the field without any problems.

I hope that helps everyone. I found the whole thing to be a bit confusing since the regulation in the draw supplement is worded in such a way that it sounds like you can't rent anything from a transporter.

That makes sense to me and clarifies things. I've used three different well-known transporters the past four years. Each one was clear in telling me up front they were a transporter, not a guide. I signed an agreement each time acknowledging that fact. Yet each one offered raft, cook stove, some camping gear rentals as part of their business. They transport hunters, anglers, adventure groups, etc, year round. I never rented equipment from them but was curious with the recent discussion on the regulations how transporters were renting equipment (they weren't hiding that aspect of their business), if it was against regs.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bear

JJ. What kind of bear you looking for?? If your wanting large blacks you'll find yourself looking at south east, not saying you could'nt harvest a nice big bear in south central just not the norm, if your looking for a great all around trip that has everything Alaska has to offer and is a short road trip from anchorage I'd be heading to prince William sound, out of Whittier, can't beat it for quality bear hides and numbers, you just need to figure out which boat transporter too use, there's also a few transporters out of Seward ak, and even homer AK. Your lodge We more then likely be the boat, ps you MIT even bring some halibut home with ya. Beat time for this trip would be mid may through the first of June....

Last edited:
I've been here 2x and highly recommend it. Jason and Trish run a top notch operation.

QUOTE=big28hunter;2328836]http://www.fishorhunt.com/Hunts.php

I'll be here in September. Hunting black bear if I draw and sitka blacktails. Plan on doing some fishing too if the hunting goes well! Friend has been there and loved it![/QUOTE]

May Bears

Thanks fellas. Scott

Scott, I just registered to this site so I hope I get this right.
My family does a lot of black bear hunting in May. It is mostly from our boats, my son has a 25' and I have a 30' bayliner. We stay on the boats and cruise the shoreline and when we see a bear we use rafts to get us to shore and back. Typically we will see around 10 - 15 bears a day, of course you usually can't get to all of them. The tag and license are over the counter or on line (adf&g). If I can help you in any way please feel free to contact me.
Ron

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back