Caribou Gear

Selway Elk

Hunter92

I’m looking at hunting the Selway region this year in Idaho. Unit 19 most likely and no horses/pack animals. Does anybody hunt this unit or have hunted it in the last five years? I hear wolf predation is pretty bad. Is there a lot of hunting pressure as well? I’d like to lay eyes in the area, but it’ll likely be July before the snow allows access. Tags normally sell out pretty quick in capped zones.

It’s BIG, nasty, steep country with low population densities and the challenges JLS mentioned above. There is pressure, but it’s manageable. I have not seen a lot of backpack hunting pressure. Mostly horse camps in the backcountry or guys day hunting from truck camps expanding their access options using utvs to run the FS roads, parking them and diving into the wilderness.

I say go for it and have an adventure!

I also got talked into a Selway B tag as a non resident. First year we have not drawn Montana. We’ll be going in November. I know it’s steep and miserable but looking for any info I can get. What are the chances of even getting close to a hunting area at that time of year as far as snow? This is my first post and I have to leave my 10 before I can create a thread.

I also got talked into a Selway B tag as a non resident. First year we have not drawn Montana. We’ll be going in November. I know it’s steep and miserable but looking for any info I can get. What are the chances of even getting close to a hunting area at that time of year as far as snow? This is my first post and I have to leave my 10 before I can create a thread.

Welcome to HuntTalk!

In November, access from anyplace other than the trailheads along the Selway River and the Salmon River could be challenging. You would likely have plenty of company at those spots. A tracked ATV or tracked SXS could be helpful.

I think I would try to make a September hunt work instead.

Last edited:
Welcome to HuntTalk!

In November, access from anyplace other than the trailheads along the Selway River and the Salmon River could be challenging. You would likely have plenty of company at those spots. A tracked ATV or tracked SXS could be helpful.

I think I would try to make a September hunt work instead.
Yeah I know September would be better, but with our work schedules it’s not an option, and I know the numbers in that zone are down, that’s why there is still tags available. We’re planning on backpacking in and doing our best to be mobile. Other people at a trailhead doesn’t really bother us, it’s public land and that’s part of the game.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back